Author Topic: Cannot update DTCP-IP, Giving firmware error message.  (Read 31997 times)

TheIntruder

• Calf
Re: Cannot update DTCP-IP, Giving firmware error message.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »

Just got a replacement unit (wasn't able to update the Media Server on the previous one), and sure enough, I'm still getting the same ol' message:"While firmware updating, Media Server update can not be updated completely. Please click 'Update DTCP-IP' button after establishing Internet connection."

This unit SHIPPED with this error!  Way to test your products before shipping Buffalo!

Called Tech Support, and they're aware of the issue and have no fix.  I mean, this is just amazing to me... you buy a frickin' NAS because it's networkable!!  That's the whole purpose of this device!

Just out of curiosity, could those of you experiencing this issue please tell me a bit about your setup?  Seems like Buffalo should be asking these questions, but seeing as they're not, maybe we can try and figure this out ourselves:

I'm have a Linkstation Pro Duo 1TB, I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium x64, I tried updating the media server using both Firefox and IE, and  I have a D-Link DIR-655 router.

Please post your Buffalo unit model, your OS, browser, and router model and make... maybe there's a common issue here?  Could it be the router??

LASTLY, is there a way to manually update the media server??

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »

Hi there

as mentioned above I have two Buffalo NAS they are both model LS-WX4.0TL/R1-EU... old one manufactured june 2010, new one june 2011 - the older unit has never been unable to update DTCP-IP..

OS = vista home premium,

Router = Aztech ADSL2+ Wireless G Router (but internet is thru GPON-pppoe)

Both NAS are connected to the same D-Link 5port switch

Browser ? I don't use the browser to update, I use the admin webpage of the NAS..

Q. how do you do it using the browser anyway.??

cheers

user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »

I'm using the admin webpage as well, but I'm viewing that page in a browser window.  Aren't you doing that too?  Some people have suggested that using IE instead of Firefox would help, but I've had no luck with either.

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »

It's interesting that you're on Vista Home Premium as well.... doubt that would be the cause though.  I think I might try updating it from my wife's Mac tonight.

alexhore

• Calf
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
I have the wife's macbook that's had both leopard and snow leopard running safari, I have a pc quad booting leopard ubuntu xp32 and windows 76 tried ie chrome and firefox. Also tried my iPhone with safari and skyfire Basically this has nothing to do with your computer it's a fault with your nas. It's either a curupt update/install or there is more than one revision of the hardware and they have not bothered testing properly. Its simple baths for them they have looked at how much it will cost to fix it and how much they will get in return (£0) and since it's been out so long the small amount of damage it will do to there reputation having 10-20 people complain about it. The only solution we have is either downgrading quite a way or custom firmware. Keep complaining as it would be nice if they did fix it but for now if anyone wants to know how good there kit/support is just send them a link to this thread.....

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »

DTCP-IP does not update twonky. DTCP-IP revalidates an embedded key in the firmware, in case it becomes corrupt. If the validation can't get to the external key server, due to incorrect settings on a router, or due to a firewall, it will not validate.

In this case, you may be able to resolve the issue by reloading the firmware.

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »

"DTCP-IP does not update twonky."

What does that mean?  What is twonky?

"...due to incorrect settings on a router..."

What might those incorrect settings be?  Do we need to open a port?  Do we need to disable Windows Firewall?  Why would the iTunes media server work and the DLNA server not?

"In this case, you may be able to resolve the issue by reloading the firmware."

What is the best way to go about that?  Reset firmware to default using the web admin page?

Thank you for replying to this thread.

alexhore

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
Many of us have tried re-applying the firmware. When the media server is disabled you can updated the drcp-ip without a problem suggesting this has nothing to do with a firewall/router but then when you re-enable it's broke again. Why don't you publish the details of the issue that you are fully aware of?

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »

"When the media server is disabled you can updated the drcp-ip without a problem suggesting this has nothing to do with a firewall/router but then when you re-enable it's broke again."

Actually, in my case, I can't update it period.  I've tried disabling the media server, as well as the iTunes server and the Squeezebox server, all in an effort to update DTCP-IP, but the update fails every time.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »

If reloading the FW doesn't work, then a force-FW reload would be the next step (in the STorage stickies)

alexhore

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
Tried that.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »

We are still working on the issue. The issue has been escalated to our engineers to try and resolve the issue. We apologize for the delay.

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »

Durr sorry my mistake of course the webpage is viewed thru the browser..

and btw I only have IE (8 and 9) tried both, same issue.. old NAS no, new NAS yes.

cheers

CD

user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

Hooner

• Calf
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »

I own the LS-WVL/R1 and have had the same problem updating the dtcp-ip firmware, no matter what I try. I even returned it to the store and received a new one, which suggests that it is not a hardware problem.

I hope this problem gets fixed. I'm posting here to reinforce the point that this is not a limited problem, but is likely more common than is believed.

Is there no way to get a detailed log that might provide a clue to the problem?

wkweksl

• Calf
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 02:22:01 AM »

Just updated to 1.58 from 1.56 on a LS-WVL and found dtcp-ip missing and no option to update.