Author Topic: Very slow transfer between USB drive and LS-CHL  (Read 3924 times)

Voyager

• Calf
Very slow transfer between USB drive and LS-CHL
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »

I've got an external USB drive attached to the USB port on the LS-CHL.  It took 18 hours to transfer 230 GB from the USB drive to the LS-CHL.  Any thoughts what might be wrong or what can be done to speed this up? 

marvin

• Calf
Re: Very slow transfer between USB drive and LS-CHL
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
   Flash the firmware on the unit, you can use the force procedure found in the search of the forums.  Also what file format is the hard drive in?  Try formatting the drive in XFS.

Voyager

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:47:20 PM »

After I transferred about 50 GB and saw how slow it was, I flashed the firmware to the latest version.   The external drive format is fat32.  I would have converted to XPS but I had to get the data off first. 

I had sent an inquiry to Buffalo tech support and below is the response I received. 

Unfortunately, the LinkStation products are a little on the slow side comparedto a direct transfer from PC to PC or from a PC to a USB disk.Usually 1GB of data will take about 3 to 5 minutes to transfer.  Assuming 3minutes which would be the absolute fastest, it would be a nearly 12 hourtransfer.  At 5 minutes/gig it would take about 19.The speeds you are seeing are about normal for this particular device.

Below is another email I received from Buffalo.

This is a limitation you are likely to see across most manufacturer's consumerlevel NAS drives. Due to the small form-factor on these devices the bottlenecktends to be the processors and small memory configurations. If you're lookingfor a NAS with full USB2.0 transfer speeds, you are most likely going to wantto avoid consumer end products and go to the SOHO or Enterprise end units.

I hope this information helps someone out because I wasted a lot of time researching products only to find the wrong solution for my needs.  I wish manufacturers would be honest in their specs and just say that the USB transfer rates are no where close to what they should be or just eliminate using the USB for anything other than a print server.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »
The 3 to 5 minutes quote is for the NIC card, what timings are you looking at with USB after you updated the firmware and formatted the drive?

poki85

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:48:47 AM »
   I have the same problem : the speed transfer don't exceed 1,5mb /second. It should be over 20 mb/s !!

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »
what format is the USB hard drive in?