Author Topic: TeraStation TS-QVHL Wack Temps?  (Read 4918 times)

ciderman

• Calf
TeraStation TS-QVHL Wack Temps?
« on: February 16, 2021, 02:02:36 PM »
Hey There!

I recently bought a used TeraStation TS-QVHL 4 Bay and it's going well, it's quite a fun little hobby setting this up, however, it doesn't seem to want to play ball at the moment. The NAS keeps throwing up an error "too hot!" and upon checking the syslogs it's claiming that it's hotter than the sun!

Feb 16 19:46:58 TS-QVHL4B7 fanctld.sh: temp0=59 temp1=58 temp2=33 temp3=7967 temp4=31

Is there any way I can edit fanctld.sh to mark out temp3 or will it screw things up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: TeraStation TS-QVHL Wack Temps?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »
Are any of your disks SSDs? I've found some SSDs report weird temperature values in their SMART data.

Either way I'm guessing this is coming from SMART data (it's been a while since I looked at fanctld.sh). You might be able to tweak the script, I think I remember it being relatively readable.

Alternatively you could try installing Debian on the device:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Intel_Terastations

It won't correct a bad sensor reading or anything like that, but there are more tools available to look at sensors in the Debian repo.

ciderman

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:42:46 AM »
Are any of your disks SSDs? I've found some SSDs report weird temperature values in their SMART data.

Either way I'm guessing this is coming from SMART data (it's been a while since I looked at fanctld.sh). You might be able to tweak the script, I think I remember it being relatively readable.

Alternatively you could try installing Debian on the device:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Intel_Terastations

It won't correct a bad sensor reading or anything like that, but there are more tools available to look at sensors in the Debian repo.

I gave Hirens BTCD (win 10 based) a go and it said that all the temps were fine so not sure what's going on there (attached screenshot https://i.imgur.com/38ESkwY.jpg)

Will see if I can amend fanctld.sh and comment out the sensor, bit weird but maybe a firmware update could fix it if it is common *hint hint Buffalo*

Thanks!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 12:35:05 PM »
Hmmm, I would think both the Drive and Motherboard sensors would have similar reading regardless of OS.

You might try re-installing the firmware to see if that magically fixes it. We haven't seen other forum posts with quite this issue so I'm guessing it's not common.

ciderman

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »
Hmmm, I would think both the Drive and Motherboard sensors would have similar reading regardless of OS.

You might try re-installing the firmware to see if that magically fixes it. We haven't seen other forum posts with quite this issue so I'm guessing it's not common.

Unfortunately magic was not had and its still playing up, even with the EM stick my friend did for me it's showing a too hot error.. He's going to re do it tonight to see if he can comment out the bizarre temp but it seems a bit weird why it's throwing it up under em mode and buffalo os and not elsewhere

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 03:39:41 PM »
Their driver for the temp sensor is probably different than what you'd find in windows or even mainline linux so it could be some kind of bug in their driver code.... but that's still really weird.

ciderman

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 05:46:07 AM »
So, After all the messing about with firmwares and whatnot it does seem that a drive was causing the issue as I put in JBOD and it's now working sweet as a banana pie!

Thank you for all your support! I shall now venture into some 4tb IronWolf NAS drives now I know this device isn't defective