Author Topic: Is LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-W1.0TGL/R1 compatible with Time Machine?  (Read 6611 times)

aliceboule

• Calf
Hi friends,

I can't seem to be able to configure my Linkstation (LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-W1.0TGL/R1) with Time Machine. Maybe it's because the Linkstation is too old for that kind of service? Please help!

Thank you!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Is LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-W1.0TGL/R1 compatible with Time Machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 03:25:58 PM »
I'm not all that familiar with time machine but generally speaking modern versions of OSX do not like communicating with older versions of Samba/netatalk/etc. The firmware for that model device probably doesn't support any protocols new enough for your Mac to support. It might work if you enable SMB1 on OSX though I believe they've been making that more difficult in recent versions because of security concerns.

Alternatively, you could install a modern version of Debain Linux on the device instead of the stock firmware:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

That would allow you to run modern versions of these services which you could use for your backups.

Here is an article about configuring Samba to work as a target for TimeMachine backups:
https://nick.bouwhuis.io/2020/01/03/time-machine-server-on-debian-10-copy/

nikkinemo95

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »
Time Machine can back up to an external storage device connected to your Mac or supported AirPort base station. It can also back up to a Mac or network-attached storage device (NAS) on your network.

edwahlberg

• Calf
    • geometry dash
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »
Try enabling SMB1 on OSX. The new versions seem not to function really well with older versions of Samba/netatalk.