Author Topic: Cannot find TFTP Boot Recovery software for TS-HTGL-R5  (Read 6327 times)

recn

• Calf
Cannot find TFTP Boot Recovery software for TS-HTGL-R5
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:40:25 PM »
I have recently inherited an old NAS and would like to get up and running so I can use it at home. Digging around I have been unable to access the following link:

ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/TFTP%20Boot%20Recovery%20TS-HTGL-R5%201.20.exe

Based on searching the forums, other people are having this same problem.

Is there any archive link available for this software? It's the last piece of the puzzle I need to get this thing working :(.

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
Re: Cannot find TFTP Boot Recovery software for TS-HTGL-R5
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:58:37 AM »
you can find the information on how to get those files here

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

recn

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 01:04:12 PM »
you can find the information on how to get those files here

Thank you for your reply. The OP in that post lists the method in that topic only works for:

TS3000
TS5010, 3010
LS220DE (Not 220 or 210)
LS421D (Not 420 or 410)
LS441DE
LS-WVL/E

In addition, TS5000 has a documented, simple method to reinstall, as does TS-xVL as these are Intel processors capable of USB boot. Any Windows Storage Server unit is provided with reinstall media in the box.

All other NAS units use an ARM processor and the firmware is factory installed on the provided drives, and has no simple way of being reinstalled; as you will see in his links.

It does not seem to apply to my model?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 01:17:27 PM »
The post lists devices that have an easy way to install from the built-in NAND. That method just involved inserting blank drives and pressing a button.

If you read further it links to methods for installing on devices that don’t have that option.

recn

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 05:49:31 PM »
The post lists devices that have an easy way to install from the built-in NAND. That method just involved inserting blank drives and pressing a button.

If you read further it links to methods for installing on devices that don’t have that option.

Using the following:

http://buffalo.jp/support_ap/support/products/ts_htgl_r5.html

I extracted the firmware, created the ext3 partition as asked, reinstalled, and checked again. Nothing. Everything was done to spec and it is still booting E06 instead of EM mode and so nasnavi does not work. I used uImage.buffalo as the boot image since its what it was named in the download - I didn't need to extract any image I think.

I used GPT as my partition table (ubuntu didn't allow me to partition as MBR from gparted) and used a 512MB partition to store the images. It is also drive 1.

Is there another source of drivers or should these work? If so is it possible the terastation is too old to recognize GPT?

Thanks.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »
For this older model it needs to be an MBR, Ubuntu should come with fdisk which can be used for this. Also, the inode size needs to be 128 rather than 256 for older devices. When formatting pass the following option:
Code: [Select]
mkfs.ext3 -I 128 /dev/sdx
You’ll need uImage.buffalo and initrd.buffalo

recn

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 10:30:18 PM »
For this older model it needs to be an MBR, Ubuntu should come with fdisk which can be used for this. Also, the inode size needs to be 128 rather than 256 for older devices. When formatting pass the following option:
Code: [Select]
mkfs.ext3 -I 128 /dev/sdx
You’ll need uImage.buffalo and initrd.buffalo

This worked! Thank you! I thought I was a goner!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 10:44:12 PM »
Nice!

You can use the same method to boot into a modern Debian installer if you prefer. Information about that can  be found here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

Tnokker

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
@ recn

I was wondering, were you able to acquire the TFTP Boot Recovery software for the TS-HTGL-R5?

I have been looking for it all over the internet and have failed to find it.  I have a TS-H4.0TGL/R5

and would prefer to use the utility over restoring without TFTP, as Im a novice when is comes to NAS drives.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:46:09 PM by Tnokker »

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 06:26:24 PM »
I don't know if it will work with the TS-HTGL:  but I do have TFTP Boot Recovery TS-RHTGL-R5 1.30

I don't know if the R just means Rackmount or what for that model. 

Tnokker

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 06:11:32 AM »
That is a good ? I do believe it does mean Rack Mount
and not sure if that effects the boot loader.  I have heard that
each group of models uses a different boot loader. I can't be
for sure as I'm a novice when it comes to NAS drives.
If you could get the version you have to me it would be a start, cause at this point I have absolutely nothing.

Thanks much

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
You can extract the boot files for the proper device using the method described in the post above and then use them to boot via TFTP using any TFTP utility.

Tnokker

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »
Ok that's great news!!! So in essence I could use Kane88's TS-RHTGL-R5 1.30 version or something like OpenWrt?  What would you recommend for someone that has never done this before?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 02:25:56 PM »
Personally I've always loaded the files directly to drives. I'm somewhat unusual in that I find messing with IP addresses and TFTP utilities far more inconvenient than connecting a drive to a linux system and setting up the partition.

As a result I don't have much advice on particular utilities. Once upon a time I installed OpenWRT on some devices and used the windows client they recommended.

I just try to get the point across that there is nothing special about those recovery files, they are just the same boot file included in the firmware updater and a TFTP utility. No need to try to hunt them down from shady sites/posts now that Buffalo no longer hosts them.

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
The only way that I know of to get you the file- is if you want to PM me an email address- to where I can send the file as an email attachment.

No special app is needed.  The TFTP app is part of the file set.  In fact, you can use the fileset I have, with pretty much any buffalo unit, provided you use the method from the other post- to extract the specific files needed for a particular model.  The TFTP app is the same for pretty much all the buffalo units.

The files I have are from an old buffalo share.  I don't know if it was buffalo, davo (some of his posts- pointed to it), or who hosted it- but the share is long gone in the last 2 years.  But I saved all the files that were up back then.

As to linux boot:

It would be great if someone who is adept with linux, could put together a step by step guide on proper partitioning and getting the files onto the disk.  There's plenty of us who are just dangerous with an ssh command line shell, or are just completely lost without a gui or gparted, etc...

Myself, I cannot count how many times I have gotten 'format failed' or other errors during the update, even after the unit would boot to EM mode with the partition and files that I managed to get loaded on it using something like systemresuecd:  http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ 

So I gave up on that method, and since then- I've found that using completely wiped drives and a second pc with TFTP, to work best for me anyway. 

The other question is, can NAND be added to non NAND units- to where the units just boot direct into EM mode?  That honestly- would make the whole boot issue non existent.  Why buffalo didn't include EM mode boot for all their units to start with- really is a mystery.