Author Topic: System Folders/Files Created and Visible.  (Read 2470 times)

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
System Folders/Files Created and Visible.
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »

Here’s my question/problem:

I am using the Linkstation Pro Duo (2TB, Raid1 mirroring) with Firmware version 3.10.  I have shared folders set-up on the NAS with the typical music, photos, documents, videos, etc folders.  I have Vista 64 bit and have linked the Vista folders for “Pictures”, “Music”, and “Documents” to the NAS.  All works well and so far so good.

My problem is when you access using Vista folders linked to the NAS, a system file called ‘desktop.ini’ file is created as well as another system folder called ‘$recycle.bin’.  My problem is these are visible to me, yet these are usually hidden files in Vista.  I have set Vista to hide system and OS files (which it does on my hard drive since I cannot see them there), yet they are visible to me on the NAS drive. I don’t see anywhere on the GUI where I can hide system/OS files.  I figured the NAS folders would share the same settings as the Vista folders for when they are visible and invisible, yet that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Does anyone know how to hide these files created by Vista?  Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Any response would be appreciated.

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: System Folders/Files Created and Visible.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »
Sounds like a Microsoft issue.  Our devices are in xfs file format.  An ntfs native os might see the buffalo as something it doesn't understand properly.

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
Re: System Folders/Files Created and Visible.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
   OK, but I'd be suprised no one has had this issue since we are talking about Microsoft.  Are there any solutions out there?