Author Topic: LS220DE won't work with new 1TB HDs  (Read 4034 times)

retasker

• Calf
LS220DE won't work with new 1TB HDs
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »
My LS220DE system has worked flawlessly for a couple of years with two 500GB disks but I now need to increase the storage capacity.  I am trying to install two 1TB HDs (Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB drives).  My computer system is running on Windows 7 which is updated with the latest patches, etc.

I remove the 500GB disks and put the new 1TB disks into the enclosure, turn it on and when the LEDS show one white and one red on steady, I press the red button on the back (not hold it, just momentarily press it).  The red LED blinks for a while and then the white one only is on steady.  Theoretically, the system should be ready to use at that point (according to the documentation).

However, when I open up the NAS Navigator2 it shows no LS220DE information, in the lower half it says "Emergency Mode" and it doesn't show any firmware or workgroup entry.  It does show the IP and MAC info correctly.

I then tried doing what the file "35012071-02.pdf" suggests to "clean" the drives.  After they are both "clean" I reinstalled them and the same things happen.

A couple times an error message pops up that says I should update the firmware or call support.

If I put the original 500GB drives back into the enclosure, everything is back to normal.  The firmware display shows 1.70 which I believe is the latest version.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something else to do to install the new drives?

Thanks,  Dick Tasker

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: LS220DE won't work with new 1TB HDs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
That sounds like you're following all the steps correctly and the result is the correct result, the power LED should be steady white when the unit is ready. The only thing I can possibly think to try is once the unit is in that state, turn it off using the switch on the rear. Once it shuts down completely then turn it back so that it reboots, then refresh NAS Navigator.

retasker

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »
Tried doing what you said, starting with drives that I cleaned again.  Turned it on, let it get to the red and white LEDS on steady, pressed the red button and when the white LED came back on steady with the red LED off I turned it off.

Turned it back on and after the white LED blinked for a while it ended with the white and red LED both on steady and with the same result using NAS Navigator2 2.99.

If i click on the device shown in the NAS Navigator window (which normally lists the device with the product name, workgroup, etc) it pops up a window that says:
The unit is in emergency mode. Update the firmware or contact technical support. (2019/07/22 21:02:30)

Any other suggestions?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:13:35 PM »
How long did all that take, i wonder if you might be interrupting the process.

I’d suggest trying again and leaving it alone for an hour before checking on it.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
Turned it back on and after the white LED blinked for a while it ended with the white and red LED both on steady

It shouldn't end with both LEDs on. When it's ready for operation it should be only the power LED steady white.

retasker

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:46:39 PM »
I am aware that it shouldn't end with both LEDs on, but that what it did.  It still works fine with the old 500GB drives.  I even deleted the RAID setup took them out and reinstalled them and they reinitialized properly and now work fine.

As far as waiting, I didn't do anything until the white LED was the only one on and was not blinking.  Are you saying I should wait even after that?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »
In my limited experience there is a point in the install process where it looks like it's done but it's actually not. This is why I recommend leaving it be for an extended period.

You could skip all this by:
1. boot from one of your old drives
2. insert one of the new drives and format it
3. boot from the new drive.
4. Add the other new drive.
5. setup the desired raid array.

on the off chance there is something going wrong with the NAND you can also install from scratch with this process:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Restoring_Stock_Firmware_without_TFTP
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:13:37 PM by 1000001101000 »