Author Topic: Moving USB XFS formatted backup from Terastation to Terastation III  (Read 5527 times)

cyberart

• Calf

I have a terastation, HD-H0.6TGL/R5, firmware 1.08.  I have attached a USB external drive and formatted it as XFS and use it for scheduled backups; that works great.

I just purchased a TeraStation III, TS-X4.0TL/R5, Firmware 1.00.  I disconnected the USB drive from the TS and plugged it in to the TS3.  No shares appear.  The web admin system storage information indicated that the drive is connected, the status is listed as "-", no capacity or usage information is given, the format is "-" but the manugacturer and model are listed correctly.

What can I do to copy the files from this drive onto the TS3's internal drives?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Moving USB XFS formatted backup from Terastation to Terastation III
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »

I would advise updating the firmware of the TS III. Since 1.00 is a little bit out of date. Initialize the unit after the update and post back your results. Hope this helps :)

cyberart

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »
   Tried the latest firwmarw, 1.04, and it failed repeatedly, even with force, with the ACP_STATE_FAILURE message.  What next?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »

If you are getting an ACP state failure you will have to do a Force Firmware and Rebuild the partition table and delete the User Config. 

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9309

cyberart

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »

JoshC,

I followed the directions  you provided.  The TS3 shut down to Emergency Mode (Red display, error light on). but the update did not appear to work.  I tried a normal updateand a forced update in EM mode as per the instructions you sent.  The updater does transfer the firmware but I still gat the ACP_STATE_FAILURE message as soon as the transfer completes.

The current state of the TS3 is Emergency mode, error light on, correct time and date and IP address (via DHCP), no array info, no Version info.  The web interface will not let me login (normal for EM?).

What should I do now?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:25:07 PM »
Give our Tech Support a call there is a few things that you can try to do and we can walk you through them.

cyberart

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »

JoshC,

I spent some time reading the forum and tried connecting the TS3 directly to my PC, no firewall, no antivirus and both on the same subnet (169.254.....).  I ran the forced update again and it worked.  I now have successfully updated the firmware from 1.00 to 1.04.  Now I just have to rebuild my array the way I want it (RAID5) and then try the usb drive again; this is what started this whold thread.

I'll post my results.  Thanks to all who had suggestions, both in this thread and in the forum.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:05:05 AM »
Augh, ACP_STATE_FAILURE is definitely no fun but I will say you're one of the lucky few who might escape it. Best of luck to you! :)