Author Topic: Drive station HD-CEU2 1TB - Drive not recognised by PC  (Read 4654 times)

Philemon

• Calf
Drive station HD-CEU2 1TB - Drive not recognised by PC
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »

I own a Buffalo "Drive station HD-CEU2 1TB" for about 3 months now. On
Monday 1st of june I was copying information from one of my USB keys to my Drive
station when all of a sudden the window of my drive station disappeared and would
not open again.

Suddenly my drive station was no longer being recognized by my Sony PC (I use
Windos XP For your info). I restarted the computer and tried to reconnect the
Drive station through the standard USB port (I do not have USB 2) on my computer
but it would not recognize it. However a window did come up asking me that it is
not formatted to the computer which did not make sense to me. It asked if I wanted
to format it but I denied the action as I did not want to lose all the info I
already stored on the drive station. Since then the window informing me if I wish
to format the drive station no longer comes up.

The information I was passing through from my USB key did not have any viruses
neither did the key as I scan it regularly to make sure of these points. The disk
inside the Drive station appears to be working properly and spins well and has no
false contact, neither does the power supply. Everything seems normal except that
my PC will not recognize and show in "My Computer" the Drive station.

I tried to connect the drive station on other computers and it also does not
seem to be recognized by them. I can only imagine that this can be a problem
with the USB.

Now when I went the Buffalo home page and tried the following articles:

KB#000033 - Drivestation is not showing up in my computer

The drive station does not appear as a drive when I browse in Disk Management

Then I tired this article:

KB#000113 - DriveStation Install on Windows 2000/XP when Drivers are not
Automatically Detected

followed all the steps but the "Hardware install wizard" could not
complete the operation, as it said it could not find a better option then the one
the Drivestation is already using.

Could anyone help me with this. Its frustrating me as i have a lot of valuable information on the drive and would like to see if it is possible to fix the problem without loosing my files.

Thank you in advance

Message Edited by Philemon on 06-03-2009 04:34 PM
Message Edited by Philemon on 06-03-2009 04:34 PM

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Drive station HD-CEU2 1TB - Drive not recognised by PC
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
Do you have another PC you can try this Unit on?  If so try it on another PC and see if you get the same results.  When you remove the Device from your PC do you use the Remove hardware Safely option?

Philemon

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:08:01 PM »

Yes i have already tried it on 3 different pcs. They recognise the Drivestation but in the section of "My Computer" it does not appear, therfore im not ale to enter inside the Drivestation to see the files.

Yes i also use the "Safely Remove Hardware" application. In fact when the Drive Station is connected to the pc although it doesnt appear in "My Computer", it appears on the "Safely Remove Harware" which is odd.

One thing perhaps that can help is when im in device manager the Drive station does appear but with a yellow triangle on it with an exclamation point on it (if i remember correctly).

As i mentioned before i was just transfering files from my USB key into the Drivestation when all of this happened.

Thanks 

Message Edited by Philemon on 06-03-2009 08:11 PM
Message Edited by Philemon on 06-03-2009 08:11 PM

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »

Hi Phil,

I just need to find out is that when you connect to the Drivestation, in Win XP, goto Computer Mangement then Drive Mangement, the drive is displayed as what format? GPT, RAW, NTFS or FAT32?

Philemon

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »

Hi Tanjl,

I get back to you on this question as i dont have the drivestation currently with me. Ill check when i get home and reply to you.

Cheers

Philemon

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »

Hi Tanjil,

Sorry for the late reply.

So i went into Computer Management and the drive managment. The drive station does no appear in the drive managament window. It appears not to be recognised. The only drive that i see is the hard drive of the computer which is in NTFS.

However, when i go into panel control - system - Hardware - Disk Management it does show up

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »

Right click on the drive (on the lower half of disk management) => Delete partition, wait 20 seconds => the drive will show as unallocated. right click on it again => Create partition, this will open the windows partition wizard, go through this wizard leaving all the settings default and this will reformat the drive into NTFS and should give you a working drive again.

NB: The drive seems to have a corrupt partition and the above process will result in data loss. If you want to attempt to get the data back then try a software recovery application like UFS explorer.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Philemon

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »

Thanx for the reply,

As for the data recovery, how should i proceed with this. Should i use UFS explorer before or after i try to reformat it. I have never used an application like USF nor am i familar with recovering data, so sorry if the question is a bit stupid.

Could you perhaps help guide me. I went on the USF page. Should i download the standar or professiona version? What application should i download? here are the options:

Download UFS Explorer

Professional Recovery Business Network Standard Recovery Standard Access Batch Access

OR

*Special Solutions NTFS Data Recovery FAT/FAT32 Data Recovery XFS Data Recovery Ext2/Ext3 Data Recovery ReiserFS Data Recovery UFS/UFS2 Data Recovery MacOS HFS+ Data Recovery Windows Mobile recovery

The when looking in the manual, i imagine i must look at the Data recovery section. However there are many options whicha re the following:

Which is the one that corresponds to my problem?

Thanxs in advance

Message Edited by Philemon on 06-05-2009 02:11 PM
Message Edited by Philemon on 06-05-2009 02:12 PM

Philemon

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
   ??????????

robbie1118

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »

Philemon,

Did you ever solve your problem? I'm currently trying to find a step by step solution using UFS Explorer to recover my files from a bad HDD in a Linkstation Live unit. Thanks.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:39:55 PM »

I would recommend taking it to a Data Recovery center.  The more you try to recover the data on your own could lead to complete data loss.