Author Topic: Two WZR-600DHP routers, can't setup WDS  (Read 7763 times)

duanemitchell

• Calf
Two WZR-600DHP routers, can't setup WDS
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:24:13 PM »
Hello,

Got two new routers here. Trying to setup as AP/WDS to extent wifi in house. When I complete the setup on the WDS at IP 192.168.11.100 I can no longer login to that device. I get redirected to 192.168.11.1. Perhaps a DNS issue somewhere? Also with the WDS on the network internet access is unusable, it just doesn't work. On both devices the wifi lights are flashing in unison.

duanemitchell

• Calf
Re: Two WZR-600DHP routers, can't setup WDS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »
Can't understand why when I hardwire to the repeater and enter it's IP address I automatically get redirected to the router?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »
Might help if we actually knew HOW you specifically setup each unit?! What firmware is running?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

surgeinc

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
I'm having a similar if not the same issue:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=18105.0

Basically attempting to access device #2's GUI causes a redirect back to what it assumes its ip should be (192.168.11.1) which happens to be the primary router.

duanemitchell

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
I've attempted to set up the router/repeater about 5 or 6 times now. I follow the steps here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=15201.0

Both devices are new. The firmware on the router is: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (11/04/12) std - build 20180

I cannot access the repeater because when attempting to access it through it's IP address of 192.168.11.254 I get redirected to the router at 192.168.11.1.

The last time I set this up I started by resetting both devices to factory defaults. I've done nothing to either other than follow the instructions in the video.

Sometimes when the repeater is on the entire network slows to a crawl and I think it has something to do with this redirect issue. Pages sometimes take minutes to load, if at all.

I would really like to be able to login to the repeater and check it's setting but it redirects to the router. I'd like to resolve this issue for starters.

duanemitchell

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »
I've reset the repeater device yet again in order to verify the firmware version. Both devices are identical. I've got 2 brand new WZR-600DHP devices, they are identical in everyway. Using 2 identical devices is suggested by Buffalo in your video. That's done. The steps are not that complicated, this is not that difficult for me. I'm going to try one more time to setup the repeater. The router is working fine as long as the repeater is turned off. Turn the repeater on after configuration as prescribed by Buffalo docs and the whole network goes down.

duanemitchell

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »
I am trying it with disabling these in both devices. Anyone know what effect that might have?

Use DNSMasq for DHCP
Use DNSMasq for DNS
DHCP-Authoritative

duanemitchell

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
Restore to factory defaults #9 here we go. I run a bed and breakfast and there's one room that gets a weak signal from the single wifi device so I thought I'd setup a repeater using 2 identical devices as suggested. My day job is networking and software development and if I'm having this kind of trouble then I can't imagine it's all me. Especially since the documentation doesn't exist for this particular device and the documentation online doesn't match up with the config options for the WZR-600DHP device.

duanemitchell

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
Documentation issue: in the written notes of FAQ 3 (http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=15201.0) is suggests that "A static Channel is also recommended, but not required." but there's no such config taking place in the video. Which is it? Does it matter?

duanemitchell

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »
I thought I had it worked out. I was able to access the repeater through it's IP address of 192.168.11.254 from a computer not wired into it but once I reboot the device or unplug it to move it into position then I can no longer access it that way. Any attempt to access the repeater device through it's IP is redirected to the main router's IP of 192.168.11.1.

This is my first experience with the DD-WRT platform but I've got enough experience with Linux, Unix, Windows, and Mac to be able to follow the simple directions in the documentation here. My conclusion is the documentation here does not work for this device. It doesn't seem to me that it was written or recorded for this device. The graphics and notes do not match the user interface of the WZR-600DHP.

I'm hoping someone from Buffalo will have an answer as I'd really like this to work.

duanemitchell

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 07:38:40 PM »
These are dual band devices. On the repeater I setup just one of them, the 2.4 Ghz band, and at least the network is working. The minute I try to bridge the 5.0 Ghz band the entire network jams up with what appears to be somekind of DNS issue.

I'm still getting the redirect issue and cannot login to the repeater.

hnosaj

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »
I think that you were right about the dual band issue.  I was having the same exact issue and I'm glad that I found this thread.

I'm no longer trying to repeat the 5G signal upstairs.  Just the 2.4 and everything seems to be working fine.