Author Topic: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) can't connect with LinkStation (LS-WX2.0TL/R1)  (Read 78654 times)

jprez1980

• Calf
Re: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) can't connect with LinkStation (LS-WX2.0TL/R1)
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »

drmemory - Unfortunately my confidence level in August and September are low for the following reasons:

• Repeated calls into tech support (level 1, level 2 and "Leads")  are not aware of any beta in progress or slated for release in Aug/Sept.  This is quite a timespan for such a large issue and futher illustrates the lack of preparation.. 
  • There isn't a public statement on your site that I can find which indicates Buffalo is formally aware of a problem along with a promised fixed date
  • There appears to be a "passing of the buck" back to Apple - to "demand" a hotfix
  • Lack of accountability for not being involved in the months long Lion beta

Based on these reasons, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling (and I'm probably not alone).  If Buffalo cared and was customer/product focused, these items shoudn't be occuring days after Lion's release.

Will a rebate or some other good will gesture will be afforded for my time and inconvience?  There should be...my time is also valuable. 

mrainwater

• Calf
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »

I found this on the Buffalo Tech site. 

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/terastation?

Notice this page says "Select Buffalo network storage products now support Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, see complete list here. "  The link on the page goes to a PDF, but the file won't open and says it is damaged.  So, I can't read the PDF.  Linked PDF is here:  http://tinyurl.com/44kgk7z?

(actual link is http://www.buffalotech.com/files/Buffalo_products_MacOS_X_10.7_Lion.pdf )

But my LS-QVL does not work!

I updated today to most recent firmware - 1.43 (DTCP-IP:1.40-20110204)?.

?

But I still get the same message: "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported.  Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

Anyone here have any ideas on this?

BenFranklin1776

• Calf
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »

File a complaint with the FTC and BBB here for false advertising:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en?

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx?

Their NAS drives do not work with OSX Lion 10.7 or Time Machine on 10.7 but are advertised as working with any version of OSX 10.3.9 or newer. Buffalo has been aware of this issue since February and has not even released an official statement acknowledging that it is a problem or that they are working on a fix.

I have used Buffalo products for several years and have been very satisfied with them in the past, but I spent three weeks with their technical support and was treated as though I was an incompetent fool. I would have been fine with a reply stating "We are aware of the problem and will be releasing an update in the next 2-3 weeks" but I was told that there is no beta, there is no problem, and I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you don't complain, then the managers that are responsible for these screw ups will continue to provide shoddy support and ignore their customers.

mattskr

• Calf
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2011, 11:56:56 PM »

This is the response I got from Buffalo Customer Support regarding this issue and my Linkstation Mini (Model: LS-WS1.0TGL/R1?):

These units have been out of production for some time. Try connecting via SMB
instead of AFP and see if that helps

Thank you,

Seth

While I did not think of turning off the AFP for each share, this answer is unacceptable to me. The fact that the unit is no longer in production is a lame excuse in my opinion for not supporting a product. That's why, I'll be putting this device on eBay and looking for a company that actually gives a **bleep** about it's products and customers. Shame too, since they have a local presence here in Austin, I was at one time proud to buy their products.

Btw, Seth's trick of turning off AFP support does allow you to mount and R/W to shares. However, things like Time Machine backups will not work.

Hitcher

• Calf
Whats about Netatalk 2.2
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2011, 04:00:56 AM »
Buffalo have you access to Netatalk 2.2?
At this time only Netgear, Data Robotics, Western Digital Corporation and QNAP, has the access to this protokol.
Without this Protokoll Time Maschine don't work.
Netatalk 2.2 is not accessable on Sourcforge, maby in some Days.
The reason is, because the Developers want OEM Partners to finance the Project.
Some Manufactures have made a Deal with them.
Read this open Mail to get more Details:
http://www.netafp.com/open-letter-to-the-netatalk-community-501/
I think Buffalo is waiting until the Source-Code is for free on SourceForge again.
Buffalo can begin to fix the Time Machine Problem when Sourcecode is available on SourceForge again.

There is an Update in the Open Mail that says that that soon the source is downloadable again.

I think thats the reason of the Firmwareupdate in August or September, Buffalo don't want to pay Money to the Netatalk Project, but want to make Money with Devices that are not working with Lion.
Dear Buffalo don't write Time Machine Support on your Boxes, when you are not in the position like Netgear, Data Robotics, Western Digital Corporation and QNAP.

ThomasNF

• Calf
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2011, 04:03:31 AM »
Here is a Comment from a German User
I Updates my MacBookAir, an iMac 27 and a MacMini
The iMac is connecting to my LS WS 500, there is no Problem. The AirBook does not. Unfortunately I can not see any difference in the settings

I am very dissapointed about Buffalo.

I decided to buy another Product soon if there is no Support

kurzweil4

• Calf
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »

I agree with a previous poster that we should all complain to the FTC. The products we have are clearly labled as compatible with Time Machine, but they are not. This is blatant false advertising.

2020hindsight

• Calf
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2011, 06:29:01 AM »

Really really annoying to have upgraded to Lion to find not only that my NAS didn't work, but Buffalo already knew about it !!!

I don't use my LinkStation for TimeMachine backups, but I do use it for regular backups of all of my movies/TV episodes and second backups of key data.

Since I could access my disks through Finder quite happily, when my Intego Backups failed I assumed it was an Intego problem. But no.

I'm within a couple weeks of purchasing more disk - unless we get a solution or a vendor supported workaround for this problem quickly (and August/September as stated as possibilities is unacceptable) then Buffalo won't make the shortlist.

I've got enough problems as it is without having key software break.

gerschl

• Calf
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2011, 07:04:54 AM »

I am a Germen User too and I use the LS-Wi.0TGL/R1 and it works after Lion-Update with the Workaround form above (by the way, the pref File must be in Users pref). Hope there come a Firmwareupdate even for my produkt!

If not, it was the last Buffalo Produkt that I buy. You never bring a new and better Firmware, why. A NAS ist not a Product that I buy new every year!! 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »

I'm just going to say one thing... This thread is full of lol! Typical MAC users, blaming everything apart from there MAC.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Erikk

• Calf
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »

Don't feed the troll!!!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »

Erikk wrote:

Don't feed the troll!!!

Erikk?
Date Registered
07-21-2011 10:24 PM
Date Last Visited
07-24-2011 03:13 PM
Total Messages Posted2
Total Tags1

?

davo:

Date Registered
10-24-2008 12:52 PM
Date Last Visited
07-24-2011 03:26 PM
Total Messages Posted1,725
Total Tags35
Total Kudos Received200

?Total Solutions Authored 129 ?

Come back and say that to me when / if  you have actually help someone ;-)

Edit: Anyways, i've said my piece, and no, its not trolling, its just an opinion. Non MAC users are allowed to have one also!

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Erikk

• Calf
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2011, 09:43:15 AM »

**bleep**, I should've taken my own advise to NOT FEED the troll ... note to myself: "Think before you ink!" ... Erik out!

spooky

• Calf
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2011, 10:02:26 AM »

They have had months to get this ready so that their advertising continues to be true. Currently their claims for their product are false and they have clearly dropped the ball. Synology and Qnap appear to have this sorted with updates.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
The claims are not false, all units still work with MAC with smb, just not afp. A fix will be released, end of story!