Author Topic: Linkstation Live HS-DHGL - update problem  (Read 1298 times)

vkras

• Calf
Linkstation Live HS-DHGL - update problem
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »

Hi, I have a problem with my Linkstation Live HS-DHGL. Administrative
web-UI is not accessible, NAS Navigator cannot find it in the network.

I do have still have root access and it looks like root file system is corrupted (many commands throw segmentation fault,

some libraries are definitely corrupted based on md5).

In a past I also had similar problems (every 3-4 months) but was able to some them by forcing firmware update.

This time, no matter what I try, I can’t make linkstation appear in NAS navigator/update tool.

Here is what I tried so far:

1) I connected LS directly to laptop (firewall was disabled), and tried to use TFTP (after changing address to 192.168.11.1).
Nothing happened, TFTP just showed “accepting requests…” (to be honest it never worked for me in the past).

2)  I tried to reset settings to default using reset button on the back

3)  I tried to get into EM mode by keeping reset button while turning LS on (I did hear the sound). Nothing happened.

4)  I even tried to terminate boot 3 times to get into EM (it helped me long time ago when someone assisted me over the phone).

5)  When LS was connected to laptop, I changed IP so it’s part of default LS network (169.254.x.x).

I was able to ping LS and even open telnet to it, but neither NAS navigator, nor update tool could not see it.

At the same time lights are green, boot finishes successfully (with exception of apache and few other services that crash).

So my questions are:

1)  What part is responsible for update?

2)  What am I doing wrong with TFTP?

3)  How can I force LS into EM (I hope it should make it visible for update tool)?

I would really appreciate any help.

vkras

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Live HS-DHGL - update problem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

Ok, the issue is "solved". I ended up removing hard drive, dropping all partitions from there (basically formatting it). After that I was able to use TFTP procedure and update firmware. I had a full backup of data, bit if I did not there are apparently tools to extract data from XFS even from Windows (UFSExplorer).