Author Topic: Can't reset admin password for Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL  (Read 89136 times)

waihogod

• Calf
Re: Can't reset admin password for Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »

I got a same problem on my Pro Duo. it changed to EM mode after I forced power-off the NAS.

The support advised me to perform the firmware upgrade. Then the status resumed to normal but the login pofile is corrupted. My admin password is not working.

I have downloaded the Recovery Tool but it prompts "Please note that the NAS which is applied is reset to FACTORY DEFAULT". Does it mean that all data will be erased and all setting will go back to default?

Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »

It will completely restore all settings but it will not delete any data.

waihogod

• Calf
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 07:53:53 AM »

Great ! It is working fine.

Thanks DanMason & Jotin.

chrysanhy

• Calf
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »

I really appreciated DanMason's step-by-step procedure for non-destructively updating the firmware. I just updated today to 1.58 from 1.34. After doing that update, I was able to reset user admin's password to the default "password" by powering down, powering up and holding the function button for 10 seconds, at which point the function button was flashing, and then pressing it for another 6 seconds, as directed by a support person.

I don't know if the newer firmware makes recovery easier than it has been, but it's worth a try after an update to >= 1.58 before chasing down a copy of the LS Recovery tool should it disappear again or become out of date. Just for safe-keeping in case I ever need to try it, though, I went ahead and downloaded a copy of LSRecovery.zip from https://download.yousendit.com/QlVockhUVEhFc0lsYzlVag for safe-keeping.

Langy39

• Calf
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 04:12:59 AM »

Can somebody please load the LSrecovery file again. All of the links do not work.

Thanks

Graham

Beeston20

• Calf
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »

Would you be able to reupload a copy of this file? As the poster above said all the links dont seem to be working.

Thank you

DanMason

• Calf
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2012, 06:52:14 AM »

dianasm

• Calf
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 01:44:38 AM »

The link is nor working anymore:  https://download.yousendit.com/QlVockhUVEhFc0lsYzlVag

Anyone has uploaded a new one recently? HELP!

santiaji

• Calf
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 03:47:31 AM »

Thanks for the software..

Loothin

• Calf
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »

Any chance of posting it yet again. Sorry... all these links seem to be going down. I'm having the same issue that it appears many before me have had. I need to reset the admin password. 

ianm

• Calf
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:44 AM »

Noticed this thread and thought I would add my experience in the hope that it may help some one else one day.  If you do the same - you do so at your own risk.

Have been running a LS-CHL 500 (fw 1.07) for ages and no significant problem.   Yesterday power outage and when box rebooted itself continuous blue light flashing.

First observations were that the shares were visible and the SBS that I also run on it was working fine.  Flicked the power button down to power down gracefully but after 10 mins box had not shut down.

Tried to admin login to the Web interface to do a reset from there but my admin user password was always rejected BUT I could logon as guest.  I assume the problem was a firmware request and hence password reset but the default admin/password didnt work either.

Bit bullet and hard powered off box and restarted - same problem as above.

Saw this thread and did the Buffalo reset (holding button etc ) - no change.

Ran the LSRecovery.zip as per this thread - no change.

As I am a linux programmer I decided this wasnt going to beat me.  Used acp_commander to get a telnet session on the box.  I eventually tracked down  the web management code and worked out that it used PAM 'login' service to perform the authorisation.

Checking the PAM login service config file /etc/pam.d/login I could see the following:

# Disallows other than root logins when /etc/nologin exists
# (Replaces the `NOLOGINS_FILE' option from login.defs)
auth       requisite  pam_nologin.so

I checked if the /etc/nologin file existed - it did so I renamed it.

Hey presto - my admin login now worked fine.

Now I dont know where the /etc/nologin file came from whether it was as a result of the power outage, the buffalo reset or the LSRecovery but if it happens again the presence of the /etc/nologin will be the first thing I check.

kloneboyz

• Calf
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 06:37:01 AM »

Hi Dan! i would like to try the recovery tool...link is no longer working...kindly reupload...thanks!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »

kloneboyz wrote:

Hi Dan! i would like to try the recovery tool...link is no longer working...kindly reupload...thanks!

http://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVnSU5KYUk4NVVLSk5Vag

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!