Author Topic: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives  (Read 13828 times)

Tiderfish

• Calf
Re: Reinstalling to an out-of warranty NAS with blank drives
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2020, 05:06:11 pm »
AHA! Did some googleing, and came across another poor soul having a similar issue. His solution was to edit the LSUpdater.ini file and add a couple of flags. When I went in there, I noticed the listed devices were wrong, because I brought this INI with the working LSUpdater.exe from the other download. So I deleted the bad INI, and imported the good one from the correct firmware download. Then I added the same flags he did. At last it would find the device. However when pressing the button to update the firmware, it said something like no partition firmware update aborted. So I changed the noformat option to 0 and it started loading the firmware!... for about 5 minutes, then I got an error that the uImage.buffalo file was missing. So I copied that into the same dir, and it wouldn't resume. Now I the updater program is having problems finding the unit again.

Here are the flags I used
Edit LSUpdater.ini
[Flags]
VersionCheck = 0
NoFormatting = 1 (changed this to 0 to let it format the partitions)

[SpecialFlags]
Debug=1

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2020, 07:35:24 pm »
Which debug options did you use?

Tiderfish

• Calf
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2020, 09:12:56 pm »
WE GOT IT WORKING!!!

I think part of my problem is my Intel Pro NIC on my laptop didn't like connecting and disconnecting to the nas and a switch all the time. So it was making the transition from TFTP on 192.168, to DHCP with the LSUpdater more of a challenge. My solution to this was to put in a small switch between the nas, and laptop, for the TFTP on 192.168, then plug in an uplink to it so the nas can get dhcp to be found on the network. This is of course with all the other steps in place like the modified INI file, and the commandeered lsupdater from another firmware.

Once it finally loaded, the web-gui page was all in Japanese! I was thinking I downloaded the wrong firmware. Luckily I was able to log in and change the default language.

Thanks again 1000001101000, or should I call you 'h'? I was looking for a challenge today, but I didn't think it would have gone THAT far!

PS. Now that I have it all configured I am playing around with adding it to my Active Directory, and running into some issues. Should I just start a new thread for that?

clippingxpert

• Calf
    • Clipping Xpert
« Reply #63 on: Today at 01:07:02 am »
Sweet. Blank drives is important, usually so is having enough drives