Author Topic: Linkstation ProDuo with Time Machine  (Read 4842 times)

billit

• Calf
Linkstation ProDuo with Time Machine
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:17:15 PM »

I bought a ProDuo 2TB to use for Time Machine backups for my Macs, is this supposed to work? 

Apparently "Windows" support has to be selected to get shared folders to even show up, took me way too long to figure that out, I was trying to just select Apple support since that is all I use.  Now shared folders show up in Finder but not as a drive that Time Machine sees when I try to "Choose Backup Drive" in Time Machine setup.

This is the only reason I bought this thing, I hope I am missing something.

This is a LS-WTGL/R1

Everything is plugged into a gigabit ethernet switch if that matters.

Message Edited by billit on 12-30-2008 08:20 PM
Message Edited by billit on 12-30-2008 10:08 PM

ScottP

• Tatanka
Re: Linkstation ProDuo with Time Machine
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:33 AM »

The LinkStation Pro Duo does not support Mac OS's Time Machine backup program at this time.

When time machine first debuted, it was designed to work ONLY with Apple's Time Capsule router/NAS device.  Apple later allowed other network volumes to act as Time Machine destinations, but the network devices still need to have special support for Time Machine written into them.

The LS-CHL series LinkStations are the first of our products to have such support.

billit

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »

Drag, but thanks for the info.  I can probably still find a use for it, I have a usb drive I was using for media, I'll use this for media and that for TimeMachine or something.

Now I have another issue here, I set it for RAID1 and just tried to put a file on it to play around.  The file will not show up in Finder even though it seems it is there, because if I try to drag it there again it asks if I want to replace the one already there.  How do I make my files show up?  When I first dragged the file there, it just disappeared in the window, so I thought it didn't write it, but apparently it did.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

Go to buffalotech.com under support you can download the new firmware for this unit.

After the firmware is done set the unit back to factory defaults from the web interface.  

peternie

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:31:23 AM »

Hi billit,

On my LS Pro Duo 1TB Time Machine is working fine. Not out of the box but with a minimum of manual work. I really hope that you can understand my English because I'm not good in English (I'm from Germany).

First of all you have to choose if you just want to fill up all your available space on the network share with the time machine-stuff, because there is no possibility of a quota on the networkshares. If you set up a time machine backup (I explain how to do this later on) just on the LS Pro it will fill up all your free space with the backup in the next couple of month and you are not able to reduce the file-size manually to make more free space for other things. If this is ok, simply enter the following line in a terminal windows of Max OS:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

This command will allow you to configure Time Machine with every mapped network drive (possibly logout and login to take effect).

Using a network share as backup medium, TimeMachine will use a so called sparesbundle to store the data. The sparesbundle will automatically increase its filesize if needed. The trick is now to limit the filesize, that we have enough free space for other stuff.

This is a little bit tricky, as we have to build the sparesbundle by ourselves and not by timemachine.

The complete documentation including using the existing data of an old backup can be found in the following arcticle:

http://www.readynas.com/?p=253

This works fine for Buffalo's as well.

Hope this helps but you should know that timemachine is veeeeery slooooow by using network shares.

regards,

Peter