Author Topic: Can't Reformat DriveStation HD-HSU2 with Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)  (Read 8763 times)

myoungs82

• Calf

I have a 1TB DriveStation Turbo, aka HD-HSU2, aka HD-HS1.0TU2/F-US. 

Attached via USB2 to iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 

It arrived formatted in MS-DOS (FAT). According to the manual it can (and NEEDS to be) reformatted into Mac OS Extended, which is required with Mac OS in order to work with files larger than 4GB, such as video & audio files. That's what I need.

However, I am unable to reformat into ANY Mac OS format using Apple Disk Utility or 3rd-party utility Drive Genius.

There is a thread similar to this regarding a LinkStation Mini at http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=3397&view=by_date_ascending&page=1, but I found it of no help.

Please help! Thanks! Monte

Dustrega

• Big Bull
What version of OS X are you working with?

myoungs82

• Calf

I apologize for leaving that out: Mac OS 10.5.6

Thanks! 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Did you install and run the secure lockware utility at any point?

myoungs82

• Calf
   No, I did not install (nor run) the secure lockware utility. I didn't even see that as an option on the Mac side of the install disk.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Fair enough. In the Disk Utility you said that the device didn't appear. Could see the drive and not format it or is the drive not being detected at all?

myoungs82

• Calf

Dustrega, thanks for hanging in there with me. Disk Utility did in fact detect and show the drive, but each time I selected "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" it would start to format and then error out in about 5 seconds. 

WAIT...after trying to reformat as described above—6 times on my iMac and 3 on my MacBook—it finally worked!(?). 10th time's a charm? I swear I did the exact same thing in the exact same order 10 times, and it errored out the first 9 times. Go figure.

Dustrega, thanks again for your prompt support. Can't thank you enough!

Monte 

myoungs82

• Calf

For anyone else who may be experiencing a similar problem, here is a suggestion from a Mac technician. I was waiting to see what I learned here before trying it, but perhaps it will be the key for someone else:

Try partitioning it as a single partition first, then you can use the erase option. Pay attention to whether or not you want to use it to startup an Intel or a PowerPC computer. You might have to partition as FAT32, then re-partition to get the Mac options. 

and 

I think the partition table is the issue with that Buffalo bridge. So, usually, you'd use disk utility to format as FAT32 (MS-DOS format I think it's called), then format again for the Mac OS Extended options. Your error attempts probably just did the same thing in resetting the partition table. Just be sure you've set that correctly if you ever intend to start up your Intel Macs from that external drive. 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Glad to help anytime I can :)

hyserure

• Calf

Hey all,

I'm trying to copy my iPhoto library onto my drive but it's saying that it needs to be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? format... I am running OSX Lion on a new iMac.

Is it possible to format the Linkstation Live (LS-CH1.0TL) into TWO partitions? One with the standard formatting and one with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? The reason is that I need to create a Mac partition on my drive but I do not want to lose all of the other files that I already have saved on it. 

Do you know if this is possible and compatible using Mac's Disk Utility?

Thanks!

Jotin

• Big Bull

Hyserure, no... this is not possible at all.

hyserure

• Calf

Thanks for replying, Jotin. If I can't have 2 partitions, is it possible to format the existing partition with all my data into a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition without erasing all of the data from the drive? Or maybe you know of some other way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks again