Author Topic: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) can't connect with LinkStation (LS-WX2.0TL/R1)  (Read 78110 times)

portal

• Calf
Re: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) can't connect with LinkStation (LS-WX2.0TL/R1)
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2011, 08:26:32 AM »

What, you think I'm here for fun???

I have a Linkstation Pro Duo (LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.09?).....

dannys81

• Calf
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2011, 10:49:20 PM »
Mr. Davo,

I need help and guide here to get my buffalo nas LS-WXL/R1 to work here. Appreciate you help. Thanks.

sahellis

• Calf
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »

I just love the fact that all you Apple fan boys are complaining to Buffalo that Apple changed the AFP protocol completely and now NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, now works with AFP. Here's the thing. If you don't like how long Buffalo is taking to put out a firmware update to make their stuff work then try and go out and find another raided system that will work with Lion's version with AFP. Once you can't find anything but Apples own stuff then you come back in here and apologize to these nice people at Buffalo as I'm sure they are working to get this updated. But see you 5% of people use this device are Mac people the rest of the world it still works for. So don't really expect them to jump through hoops just for the almighty Apple because the Steve Jobs crew decided to make a change that breaks absolutely everything.

And before you try to go off on me I do own 3 Macs. I just understand how the world works and know that in due time there will be a fix for this. The same thing happened in the Windows world when 7 came out. All kinds of stuff stopped working correctly and it just took some time to get everyone on the same page.

So in closing what I'm say to Buffalo is thanks for all your hard work and I'm sure that you have something coming that will fix this. It's people like this supersheep dude that puts a bad taste in my mouth as an Apple user. Of course another Apple product is going to work, it's made by the same company and if you don't see the big picture here then you are a fool yourself. This is how Apple gets you to buy their products. Make a change that will make you go out a buy another Apple product because its the only thing that works. If you showed a little more patience then you wouldn't be lining Steve's pockets with your money. But as I called you in the beginning you fan boys just gotta have your Apple products so good luck with that.

OH and BTW just change your protocol to smb:// sure it takes longer but why are you sitting there watching a time machine back up run? Do it in the off hours instead.

sahellis

• Calf
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »

OK my bad...SMB doesn't work.

boing

• Calf
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »

If they are really working on a fix, it is super secret project even within Buffalo, because nobody of customer support knows about it. 

JCDrew

• Calf
« Reply #260 on: October 25, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »

Hi guys.  I have been having the same problem since I updated to Lion yesterday.  Luckily, from reading all of the posts (mostly complaining), I started doing a little more searching, and it appears that Aaron Thorne is pretty knowledgeable and has come up with the solution.     His terminal command sequence worked like a champ for me, and I'm back in business.

Quote from Aaron: 

"

If you are lucky enough to be using OS X Lion Developer Preview and you have a NAS drive, you will most likely come across a problem trying to connect to it.

Ok the issue is that i tried to access my Buffalo LinkStation over AFP with OS X LION Beta 1 and got a error message like this one above. I couldn’t login with a registered user on my Buffalo LinkStation. The guest account worked fine but no chance with a registered one.

So i found a solution and explanation at the Apple Developer Forum. Apple disables support for the “DHCAST128? in OS X 10.7 LION , which is commonly used by NAS boxes. Apple thinks is it insufficiently secure. So all the Vendors must work with Apple for Lion compatibility.

To turn on “DHCAST128? support please do the following: "

The rest can be seen here...

http://blog.digidex.co.uk/2011/06/18/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/?

I am using a Buffalo Linkstations LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.09

I suggest that you cut and paste the commands rather than type them.  Also, make sure you reboot each time he tells you to.

Happy Buffalo NAS fixing with NO FIRMWARE UPGRADE REQUIRED!!!!!!

Umbogo

• Calf
« Reply #261 on: October 26, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »

I bought the  LinkStation™ Quad - LS-QL/R5? less than a year ago, specifically for Time Machine. No firmware upgrade is indicated on the pdf. It's not acceptable. I am one of several people to mention this model in this thread without adequate response.

Does this fall under the warranty? I bought mine within the EU, and since it is not fit for purpose, there might be a statutory right to return. I will check.

Any news from anyone else is very welcome.

?

metsa

• Calf
« Reply #262 on: November 01, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »

Umbogo,

I also used to belong unhappy users of LinkStation™ Quad - LS-QL/R5??. I did sold my unit to one of my windows user friend and bought a brand new, well functional  Synology NAS. Nowadays I'll always remember to mention about bad quality of Buffalo whenever I get the change. I'll suggest you do the same...

i suppose, that end of the day that japanese arrogant attitude will pay it's price...

TimS

• Calf
« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »

Given Buffalo's complete complancy and utter lack of customer support on this issue, I'm trying to take that resolution into my own hands.  Has anyone tried to hack an LS-QL R5 on their own?  I'm not a Linux guru, but was able to telnet into the device (I'm thinking warranty doesn't matter much at this point:).  Based on what I've read, the fix would involve upgrading the box to current version of netatalk that supports DHX2 (I believe this is netatalk 2.2).  Haven't been able to figure out how to accomplish this on my own, but wondering if anyoneone on the forum with stron linux skills has attempted it?

Buffalo - you can definitely add me to the list of customer's you've lost as well, and I have already begun to tell others to steer clear of your brand due to this event (in hindsight, you should determine that fixing the issue would have cost you a lot less...).

DFence

• Calf
« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2011, 05:59:48 AM »

"I bought the  LinkStation™ Quad - LS-QL/R5? less than a year ago"

Me, too :smileymad:

New Infos ? Maybe a patch sometimes ?

boing

• Calf
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »

TimS: I have upgraded my linkstation mini to netatalk 2.2. I assume the steps are the same for your model in principle. I don't have time to write down detailed instructions but it is not too complicated:

1. open the device for telnet with acpcommander
  2. google for "optware". It is a addon to a couple of ARM-based linux devices like the linkstation. It allows you to install extension packages with the ipkg command and it has precompiled binaries for i.e netatalk. There are a couple of guides on the net that explain how to bootstrap optware on a linkstation. It is easy.
  3. use ipkg to install netatalk and avahi (that is a bonjour package)
  4. disable the original netatalk and bonjour of the linkstation (remove bootstrap scripts in /etc/init.rd)
  5. create your own startsripts for the new netatalk and avahi in /opt/etc/init.rd
  6. configure netatalk and avahi, there are guides for this on the net
  7. at the  end I had to replace the precompiled authentication modules for netatalk with the linkstation original ones, because they did not access the same user database and I could not authenticate at all, only as anonymous. Therefore I still cannot run DHX2, but you do not need it, you can change a lion setting to allow the old authentication modules (search Apples support documents). 
  8. Now time machine works again and the rest of the linkstation works as before (WOL, web interface)

Took me 3 evenings. Good luck!

JustinGraham

• Calf
« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »

Hi ,

I recently upgraded to LION and amoungst other things I lost my connection to my LINKSTATION

After reading many blogs I got a temporary solution - thought it best to share with everyone

goto APPLE FINDER

GO

CONNECT TO SERVER

OR {apple} K

type in....

smb://user:password@server/share

The share should mount in finder as per normal

Best of luck

danrice

• Calf
« Reply #267 on: December 29, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »

Thankfully I had previously used smb to direct connect via ethernet cable to a Windows Vista machine to copy files over to my new MacBook Pro, so I thought I'd try smb://linkstation_name where linkstation_name is the name I configured for the device when I set it up.  It prompted me for the volume I wanted to connect and as soon as I picked a volume it mounted right up with no problems.  Now on to Time Machine, hopefully it will be that simple.

practicalstudio

• Calf
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »

Have done this on a linkstation live LS-CHL F/W 1.02. Works well and tooks me 1 hour. My linkstations has allready been boostraped. There is a instruction at http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=23777 and http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/netatalk2-2-on-whitelight

Because this is not an easy step by step solution one should have no fear about commandline. And you need to add the new afpd to the optware startscript. With the new afpd (netatalk 2.2) the login authentication needs significiant more time (up to a minute)