Author Topic: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) can't connect with LinkStation (LS-WX2.0TL/R1)  (Read 78106 times)

PRPechek

• Calf
Re: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) can't connect with LinkStation (LS-WX2.0TL/R1)
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »

Fabyon,

It is unforunate that it has taken a while for the issue to get resolved.  However, it was not the forum that alerted us to this issue and regretable it take us time to identify the issue,  get the issue back to our engineering team, get the issue resolved and then finally tested.  As you can see this takes time.

However, I can say that it is not acceptable for you not to get some feedback and for that I will take responsibility.  I am sorry.

(Also I am the internal PR Manager not an agency)

Regards,

Jay Pechek

Public Relations Manager

Buffalo Technology

Office 512.349.1333 | Mobile 512.739.7275

11100 Metric Blvd Ste. 750 | Austin, TX 78758

jayp@buffalotech.com

www.buffalotech.com

Follow us, and join the discussion!

facebook.com/buffalotech

twitter.com/buffalotech 

fabyon

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »

no prob lol :)

I just hope the Buffalo team will work their magic and solve this issue I'm keen to backup asap with TM ...in the meantime back to the USB external hardrive

PRPechek

• Calf
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »

Kris061,

I will find out for you.

Regards,

Jay Pechek

Public Relations Manager

Buffalo Technology

jayp@buffalotech.com

www.buffalotech.com

facebook.com/buffalotech

twitter.com/buffalotech 

fabyon

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »

Fair enough Jay and I do understand that it's hard to track some faults in a big forum, but a filter with keywords such as beta, OS, etc... in a RSS form would be great so that someone can scour the forum for issues like these next time and the relevant people in the company can be alerted before they become a biggger issue ! :)

macplanet

• Calf
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »

fabyon wrote:

I found this searching through google : http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

It might help some peeps in the meantime, apparently it doesn't work with Time Machine but at least you can access your stuff if you backed up manually other folders or files. 

Can anybody confirm that this workaround still works with the released version of Lion?

Thanks,

Matthias

PRPechek

• Calf
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
Tim Higgins of smallnetbuilder.com wrote a nice piece about this very issue with a work around that might work. He also pointed out that it is affecting everyone:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-news/31540-lion-breaks-time-machine-nases

ronstephens

• Calf
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »

macplanet wrote:

fabyon wrote:

I found this searching through google : http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

It might help some peeps in the meantime, apparently it doesn't work with Time Machine but at least you can access your stuff if you backed up manually other folders or files. 

Can anybody confirm that this workaround still works with the released version of Lion?

Thanks,

Matthias

Yes. It just worked for me. Great idea - working at the problem from the Apple end. Just turn the protocaol back on.

areyoukidding

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »

Hold on, your excuse is you didn't know about it because you didn't read the forum threads?

You advertise your Time Machine compatibility. Lion has been in the works for a long time. The dev versions of it have been out for a long time. This is your job, to keep up with the major OS updates of you know major OSes. It's not like this was some obscure release of of Linux distro that accidentally broke something. This was a planned feature overhaul for Lion for months.

Come on Buffalo, gotta do better than that.

DaN-PwN

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »

lol 

just dl lion and got a similar issue, checked the mac forums and now this

darn it!

well I have a Linkstation mini 1T, I can connect to it just like before, stream and transfer files with no problem. the issue however lies with the Time Machine feature. someone in the mac forums posted the following:

"Lion use the latest AFP 3.3 protocols that are only available in the Netatalk 2.2 version, many NAS devices are on 2.0-2.1 right now. ?

Netatalk is an open source AFP server basically, it’s how NAS can communicate with Apple’s protocols for Time Machine and other tasks like file sharing, iTunes and so on."

so I guess we'll have to wait and see, I'm no techy, just an enthusiast but if this is correct then we now depend on Buffalo to release another firmware, this could take months :( 

asterix85

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »

Hi All,

Seems i'm having the same issue as everybody else. I tried the fix that was suggested at the page below

http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/?

But now get a different error message so have reverted the changes:

http://postimage.org/image/kf58wh8k/?

Any news on how the fix is going Buffalo? According to SNB you have a fix but are testing it? Also the guys over at Synology already have there fix deployed:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-news/31540-lion-breaks-time-machine-nases?

Cheers

Delta5

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »

Add  me to the list...

Upgraded my MBP to 10.7 last night.  I mostly like it, the only actual problem being no TimeMachine on my Linkstation LS-CHL.  :-(  I know quite a few people who use Linkstations for TimeMachine, and most will upgrade to 10.7 in the next few weeks.  This incompatibility is going to become a "big deal" for Buffalo if they can't fix it quickly.  

I understand that Apple broke it with their decision to update the file protocols.  That's not Buffalo's fault.  And as a software developer myself, I completely understand that these things take time to fix.  But I do find it disapointing that 10.7 has been out to the developer community for months and Buffalo doesn't have a fix.  That's a problem.  They should have had a patch ready weeks ago.

Add that to the fact that every Buffalo Linkstation box in every store and vendor website, as well as Buffalo's own website claim to support Time Machine.  And as of yesterday they do not for every newly-purchased or upgraded Mac.  Come on Buffalo. Fix it!

PRPechek

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 08:53:59 AM »

Areyoukidding,

I think maybe you read my post wrong but I said, "However, it was not the forum that alerted us to this issue?..."  We are working on a fix.

Regards,

Jay Pechek

Public Relations Manager

Buffalo Technology

jayp@buffalotech.com

www.buffalotech.com

facebook.com/buffalotech

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
When can we expect a fix? I ran into this issue last night after upgrading to 10.7 and my Cloudstor Pro.

Daveybot

• Calf
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »

Yep, I've just registered here to join the rather nervous club of users waiting for an update. I'm a photographer who keeps all their photos on a Linkstation, and am really needing to get at them again soon! For now I can grab the files I need using an old Windows machine and transfer them across using external USB hard drives, but this is a real pain I don't need right now!?

I don't have much to add, and can offer no techincal help at all, but figure at least adding my name to the crowd will help impress upon the good folk at Buffalo how urgently a fix is needed. I've subscribed to the RSS feed on this discussion, and am really hoping something is sorted out soon.

ajreynolds23

• Calf
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »

Jay, 

Thanks for the updated info.   I'd wanted to put my $.02 out there, that a fix will be available for ALL NAS products by Buffalo, that are still supported. 

I have a Linkstation Pro Quad 4tb, and would like to ensure a fix will be available for all Linkstation units. 

Thanks,

Allan