Author Topic: Linkstation Mini hacked - need to reinstall Linux  (Read 4560 times)

christo

• Calf
Linkstation Mini hacked - need to reinstall Linux
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »

I have a Linkstation mini 1TB that appears to have been hacked.  I've removed it from the network and would like to reinstall the OS to remove any vestiges of the hacker.  Are there instructions somewhere for doing this?

-Christo

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Mini hacked - need to reinstall Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »

You can follow FAQ 2 of 5 to force the firmware back on to the unit. 

christo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »

The firmware is fine, I was talking about the operating system - ie the version of linux that was preinstalled on the disk.  Is there someplace I can download a fresh version, some instructions to follow?

-Christo

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about then. Are you talking about installing linux on your pc?

christo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »

My linkstation mini came with some version of linux pre-installed on the disk*.  It is linux that provides the NAS services, right?

A hacker gained root access to the device and I would like to reinstall a fresh copy of whatever linux came with it, in case the hacker installed something nasty as part of the OS.  Kapisce?

I can't imagine this hasn't happened before.  There are websites that advertise open source lunix installs for this box, I suppose I could just go with that, but I was hoping there was a simple way to just reinstall the linux that came with it.

-Christo

* or maybe it isn't pre-installed and the CD that came with it installs linux on the device?  Is that what the firmware does, I seem to recall the firmware is just tftpboot...

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »

Our firmware is writtin in a linux kernal. Following FAQ 2 of 5 will re install this firmware. There is no tftp boot required. Just follow FAQ 2 of 5. 

christo

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »

Let me try asking my question in a different way:

My linkstation mini came with a bunch of software pre-installed on the *disk*.  I would like to wipe the disk clean and re-install that software.  Is there a download somewhere I can get that?

-Christo

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »

USA/Canada customers can go to www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads, scroll to their product, select it, then scroll to the software they need. To download, the product USA serial number is required. Check there first, before you reformat.

christo

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »

Yeesh - please stop and think before responding again.

I am not looking for software to install on my PC, nor am I looking for the firmware.

The linkstation mini is a small computer with a 1TB disk drive that is sold as a NAS.  To provide NAS services, and also to provide a web interface to configure/control the disk, it runs some version of Linux.  With me so far?

When I purchased my Linkstation mini, on the 1TB disk there was software (that software is part of linux.  It includes a web server, telent, and other linux software).  Undoubtedly when the devices are sold, there is a master image that is simply unzip'd, or untar'd onto each disk before it is shipped out.

My linkstation mini was hacked.  Someone got root access and possibly installed some software, possibly disguised as one of the standard linux applications.When it boots up, it could be running that software.

All I want to do is find a copy of what is put on the disk when the machine is shipped out.

-Christo

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »

You are not understanding that there is no some linux cd for us to give you. We have FIRMWARE that is "simply unzip'd" and the application is run to find and flash the unit. There is no open source linux operating on this box. There is a firmware that was coded in linux. Here is the EXACT location of this firmware... 

http://buffalotech.com/support/getfile/ls_series-140.zip - MODEL LS-WSXL/R1

http://buffalotech.com/support/getfile/lswsgl-106.zip- MODEL LS-WSGL/R1

You are under the mistaken impression that this unit is running some public version of Linux under its firmware as its operating system. The firmware IS its operating system, there is no Linux underneath it. 

This firmware is the "some version of Linux", "master image" and "copy of what is put on the disk when the machine is shipped out". 

When you run this application follow FAQ 2 OF 5... there will be a debug option were you can even format the drives and wipe everything out on them...

christo

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »

Hrmph.  Well I tried that and it worked, thanks.

FWIW you were confusing me by using "firmware" to refer to something on disk, normally firmware is in some non-volotile memory that gets flashed, and "kernel", which is the very core of the OS, which was not my problem.  I suspect the twonky media server was what got hacked, not the kernel.

Finally, the box IS running linux, not sure what you mean by saying it isn't.

-Chris