Author Topic: LS-XHL2.0 - ACP_STATE_FAILURE... done everything no joy!  (Read 2974 times)

zepnut

• Calf
LS-XHL2.0 - ACP_STATE_FAILURE... done everything no joy!
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »

I know there are many posts about this but i have registered in order to say I have tried it all...!

I updated to 1.33 and got ACP_STATE_FAILURE. downloaded the acp_commander (not supported by buffalo) and did all things i could find on all the forums i could find. I have managed to clear it and reload the firmware and get a mixture of responses. Sometimes it succeeds and boots in to em mode and sometimes it fails and stays in em mode. I cannot telnet it or http it. I can however ping it! ACP commands seem to work but such as rebooting etc.. but i don't know if any otheres are really working.

I have turned it off twic in its 4 month history and both times it went in to em mode. The first time a firmware update fixed it but now it won't.

Is this thing rubbish?

Can anyone help. I bought this to store my data not to become a linux expert.

much appreciated.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: LS-XHL2.0 - ACP_STATE_FAILURE... done everything no joy!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »

Have you tried the TFTP boot procedure and then performed a force firmware update with the "Rebuild Partition Table" option enabled?  If not please bear in mind this will format the drive and consequently all the data will be gone.  Post back your results.

zepnut

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »

Thanks for the reply Dustrega.

I haven't but is there a non-destructive option?

Could do without losing the data on it.

I have read that the data is on one particular partition... is it possible to preserve that one?

Cheers

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »

You can't specify which partition's to be formatted, so unfortunately I don't have anything beyond that.

zepnut

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »

OK I see.

I don't understand why this is so flaky?

First use it was fine did everything it should. First shutdown for a holiday and it went in to EM mode. updated the firmware to clear (which seems to be the only recommended action ...bizarre!) and it was fine. went away again so I shut it down. Same thing but this time no good with the firmware.

It does seem to be a pretty unstable product looking at the forums. Now it seems I will have to sacrifice a months work, My fault for not backing up but come on surely I can expect some reliability here for nearly £250?

I will keep looking for a while and if no joy I will have to cut my losses and reformat. It is supposed to be my central storage for all devices at home (ideal solution) but if I cannot rely on it it will have to go! Better off sharing a folder on the pc and using a usb drive?

Any other options out there to get out of this and then make it more reliable?

zepnut

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »

OK did the TFTP thing... files loaded ok... Then the Updater found it in EM mode... Flashed it didn't come back... 6 red led flashes.

A great piece of kit in my view.  Send it back for replacement?....mmmm no it's ok

I may be able to salvage a £250 2Tb drive from it. Should I put the drive in my windows PC and share a folder? Share the printer? Share ITunes? Use Go to my PC to access my files?

Does anyone want to defend this product? In fact these problems occur across the whole range from what i can see.

Buffalo should supply a disk or a download which recovers the unit for you. I am not a linux expert I just bought a NAS box for my home network.

That's the end of Buffalo for me and anyone I know. Or have I got it all wrong?

Now how do I get the drive out of this thing?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »

How about backing up your data to more than one spot than just a NAS?  Read question and answer 4 in the FAQ and also we don't support dismantling of the devices per the forum guidelines.  I'm sorry.

zepnut

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »

HI

So the item is so unreliable I have to backup the backup? Nice recomendation. I have only lost a month because i backed it up to my PC...my reliable PC

Item 4 is of no use I have wiped the drive under the instruction given.

It's Ok.... just an expensive mistake. I take the blame for losing a months worth of work. But there seems to be no defense for the product or indeed product range. Everyone seems to accept the level of expertise required to recover from a simple powerdown event or a very poor firmware upgrade process.

I clearly bought the wrong solution for a straightforward home user (the target customer btw).

The only thing is if I return it under warranty I can at least sell it on to a linux expert to enjoy....

Do you have no further instruction for my red flashing LED after a successful TFTP build? I can hear the drive working and the heads moving

Or is it indeed the end of the road?

Sorry to sound bitter or sarcastic but come on... what do you expect? should I revel in the excitement of rebuilding my linux box after 3 days of investigation and failed recovery?

It's great on paper but a shockingly poor product to own.

Please, please convince me...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »

My apologies just the same.  Any hard drive manufacturer will tell you to make multiple backups and that goes for NAS products of all types too.  We've had this argument over and over on the forums and the user always blames our product being unreliable.  I don't think so.  I have a USB external drive that I backup to weekly at my home and even still I am antsy about whether it will fail.  A HDD will fail and it's not the question of "if", it's a question of "when".  That one question always has a variable answer.  I guarantee you Western Digital, Samsung, Hitachi and even solid state HDD manufacturers will all tell you the same thing.  Don't keep your backup on a single drive and hope for the best.  If the data really is important then keep copies on other sources.  I gave you all of the solutions and fixes I possibly could and it hasn't fixed the issue and for that I am truly sorry, but I won't say sorry for any lack of trying.