Author Topic: Linkstation Live LS-CHL 500GB - 7 flashes - Problem with motherboard  (Read 12286 times)

witm

• Calf

Hi I have had a Linkstation Live LS-CH500L (500GB) for a little while now and have never had any problems with it. I have configured the BitTorrent, Web access, FTP access, Twonky, stream to my PS3...and generally happy for what I use it for.

However yesterday morning I woke up to find it making a strange whirling noise and the LED flashing red 7 times.

From the guide this seems to be "7 flashes - Problem with motherboard (RAM, LAN, or Hard Drive controller)" however I can not think of why this could occur. The NAS has always been in a relatively dust free, cool environment and never had any impact or ever been dropped.

From the looks of the responses on this forum I'm guessing a Buffalo moderator will simply advise me to send it back for a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorisation) but this was gift and I do not have the receipt; I dont even know where it was bought. If I provide my serial number can someone at Buffalo check when and where the item was bought - this will clear up any issues regarding warranty. However I did use the Product Registration link on the UK website to register my details so I should be on you files.

(FYI - I understand that opening the case, removing the HDD or installing/upgrading software will void the warranty, and so far since I have had the NAS I have not done ANYTHING to void the warranty.)

Any advise or assistance from anyone will be greatly appriciated.

witm

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Live LS-CHL 500GB - 7 flashes - Problem with motherboard
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »

FYI - I have received a response and instructions from Buffalo UK. I though I'll add it here so we can track progress on this and for anyone else with this issue. Once I give this a try I will post my results. Please note I have found another 'precise' way to get the device to EM boot: http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-3-of-3-TFTP-boot-procedure-please-read-this/m-p/11015

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email.

This error sequence indicates that the unit is unable to detect the internal HDD on the LinkStation. This can be caused either by a physical fault that has developed in the HDD, or by an issue with the firmware.

What we will need to do is attempt to boot the unit to EM mode and reflash the firmware. If thios does not work then it will be a physical fault with the HDD and it will need to be replaced.

EM boot:

- Power the unit down (disconnect the power by pulling out the power cable, not by using the power switch (leave power button set to "on" the whole time).
- Reboot it, if the power led is still flashing more than 75 second's from the start, disconnet the power and retry.
- Do this until the unit's power led is constant 65 second's after the start and the unit is on EM.
- Please bear in mind that this can take a number of attempts (approx 15-20)

Once the device is in EM mode it will be dsplayed as such on the Nas Navi software, and we can then reflash the firmware.

Firmware update:

Please get the latest firmware from our website: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads and extract it to your desktop.

- Disable any firewall/antivirus installed on your computer.
- Please connect the NAS direct to your PC and you set a static IP address on your pc.
- Run the NAS Navigator to check the IP address of your NAS.

- If necessary change the IP address on the PC, to have both units in the same IP address range.
- Control Panel-> Network Connection-> Right click the Local Area Connection-> Select Internet protocol TCP/IP from the item list and double click it.
- Select the option "use the following IP address" and type the new IP.
- That number has to be like the NAS IP address just change the last digit.
- Then click OK and OK again. Close the Control Panel.

Within the extracted firmware folder open up *updater.ini in Wordpad or Notepad.
Modify it as follow:

[Flags]
VersionCheck = 0 (modify this line from 1 to 0)

[SpecialFlags] (add this line)
Debug = 1       (add this line)

- Save the modifications and start the *updater.exe file.

- Right click the titel of the Updater window and select "Debug (D)".  This will bring up the Debug options. Select the following ones:
- "Do not check version" : Install the firmware without checking if it's an older/newer version that the one actually installed
- "Force Update" : This will have the program force the update even if it detects the same version was already installed.  
- "Erase User Config" : Takes your unit configuration back to default
- Click on OK and finally on Update to run the firmware installation.

Please let us know the results.

Regards,
Mary
Buffalo Technology Helpdesk

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »

" If I provide my serial number can someone at Buffalo check when and where the item was bought - this will clear up any issues regarding warranty. However I did use the Product Registration link on the UK website to register my details so I should be on you files."

Unfortunately this only tells us the manufacturer date, not the date of purchase.

"- Save the modifications and start the *updater.exe file.- Right click the titel of the Updater window and select "Debug (D)".  This will bring up the Debug options. Select the following ones:
- "Do not check version" : Install the firmware without checking if it's an older/newer version that the one actually installed
- "Force Update" : This will have the program force the update even if it detects the same version was already installed.  
- "Erase User Config" : Takes your unit configuration back to default
- Click on OK and finally on Update to run the firmware installation"

I am surprised and let me know if this works.  I have heard that force updating the firmware can work if you select the option to "rebuild partition table" but that deletes all data on the unit, so most customers don't want to try it, none the less 99/100 times it doesn't work.

witm

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:26:40 AM »

I have not been able to boot the device into EM mode, therefore I have not been able to flash the firmware.

I have followed the instructions I was given:

EM boot:
- Power the unit down (disconnect the power by pulling out the power cable, not by using the power switch (leave power button set to "on" the whole time).
- Reboot it, if the power led is still flashing more than 75 second's from the start, disconnet the power and retry.
- Do this until the unit's power led is constant 65 second's after the start and the unit is on EM.
- Please bear in mind that this can take a number of attempts (approx 15-20)

but the unit still boots up, the LED constantly flashes blue for approx 60 seconds, then stops flashing for a second and then there are 7 red flashes at a time.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:38:19 AM »

Yeah, I didnt think it would work.  It wouldn't make any sense.

witm

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:41 AM »

I am willing to try the TFTP boot but only if Buffalo UK request me to do so and provide the correct files. I already have the correct firmware ready to flash with but just can not get to EM mode with their instructions.

The other problem is that I was never given the receipt and my brother does know where it is. My brother bought the unit from Comet (it may have been Currys, it was a year ago) and paid by £105 cash and declined the shops extended warranty as the product came with 2 years warranty. He also does not know where the receipt is. Can you check the serial (95845581008711) to see when it was manufactured and make an educated estimation when it would have been dispatched for retail sale and then make another educated estimation when it would have been sold/bought. It was clearly not bought 2 years ago unless my brother bought it brand new and held on to it unopened for a few years before he gave it to me(!) I was given the NAS last Christmas (December 2008) so it has only really been a full year. Your website states that "Buffalo products come with a 2-year limited warranty from the date of purchase."

I have replied to Buffalo last night and again this morning and they have not replied - whereas yesterday I got replies just minutes after the emails I sent; which I considered superb customer service. Can ANYONE from Buffalo help. What is a consumer supposed to do in this position?

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:52:42 AM »

Warning:

LS-CHL have 2 firmware and hardware Version

Version 1 with blue style user interface
Version 2 with red style user interface

Do not install the wrong version because it will make a death unit.

witm

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:37:56 AM »

Thaitawat - Thanks for the advice. I was already aware of the two hardware versions and each having their own firmware. My broken unit is version 1 and I have downloaded the correct 1.07 firmware. However I can not get the unit to a state where I can flash it. Buffalo UK still have not replied to my email and no further help has been provided.

I still am very happy with the Buffalo LInkStation Live and it's features. There nothing wrong with the product, apart from it breaking down on me which I see as no reflection on the quality of the product in general. HOWEVER their customer service is dreadful and potential customers should be aware of this - If you buy a Buffalo product and it needs some support or servicing you will either not get any help or get it after a very long time. They also seen to stop replying to emails as soon as they realise liability falls with them regarding a defective unit. This is unacceptable. The cost of the unit includes, at the least, very minimal support but this seems to be neglected after a sale.

Please note I will update my thread if things pick up on this matter.

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:03:25 AM »

When your turn on power as a blinker 7 times you press the function button 2 seconds and release.

LED stops flashing or not. If yes, try the TFTP.

If not may be hardware problem.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 04:07:43 AM »

"Can you check the serial (95845581008711) to see when it was manufactured and make an educated estimation when it would have been dispatched for retail sale and then make another educated estimation when it would have been sold/bought"

Unfortunately this won't help you.  We need to have proof of when it was purchased or we cannot issue a replacement.

"HOWEVER their customer service is dreadful and potential customers should be aware of this - If you buy a Buffalo product and it needs some support or servicing you will either not get any help or get it after a very long time. They also seen to stop replying to emails as soon as they realise liability falls with them regarding a defective unit. This is unacceptable. The cost of the unit includes, at the least, very minimal support but this seems to be neglected after a sale."

I don't think thats a fair statement, we have done EVERYTHING we can to get the unit working for you.  A motherboard error is a critical error that we cannot troubleshoot.  If the units under warranty and you have a proof of purchase you can contact your local support for a replacement.  There is nothing else that we can do for you, especially in the US.

witm

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 05:06:49 AM »

My post was not a relection of the feedback and advice I have received via this forum or the US based moderators. My post was however in relation to the level of service I have received from Buffalo Technology (UK), Ltd. Also I have received a response after promting them with 4 emails. They now take liability for the defective unit and are willing to replace the unit directly. They state the retailer is responsible in the first year, and Buffalo are responsible in the second year. However they need Proof of Purchase.

"We need to have proof of when it was purchased or we cannot issue a replacement."

1) The item is CLEARLY a Buffalo product - I do not think that is in dispute.

2) The Item has CLEARLY developed a fault - I do not think that is in dispute.

3) I do not have my original proof of purchase, which obviously means I cannot prove how long I have had it for - this is the only information that Proof of Purchase will provide. Buffalo themselves will only provide a replacement for a defective unit if I have owned the product for bwtween one and two years. (The retailer is responsible in the first year)

4) However EU legislation creates a minimum period of two years in which a faulty product can be returned, and in England and Wales the figure is six years. It is not illogical to use the serial number to ascertain the manufacture date and you will clearly see that this product could not have been sold for more than 6 years.

The only other information that Proof of Purchase will provide is ownership, but unless someone else disputes this, or has reported it as stolen I do not see why all of this rests on this one document.

witm

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 05:11:56 AM »

Thaitawat - I am in the UK and am talking with Buffalo UK. So far they have not advised me to try the TFTP boot and I will not do anything what may invalidate any warranty left on the unit.

If in the end they are unwilling to acknowledge the warranty status of the unit then I will be happy to try the TFTP boot and see if I can get that to get it to EM mode. If that fails I will crack open the case try and extract the HDD. If I get to this point I do not care about the case/NAS functionality and have no support for Buffalo products based on their customer service.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 08:07:54 AM »

witm wrote:

My post was not a relection of the feedback and advice I have received via this forum or the US based moderators. My post was however in relation to the level of service I have received from Buffalo Technology (UK), Ltd. Also I have received a response after promting them with 4 emails. They now take liability for the defective unit and are willing to replace the unit directly. They state the retailer is responsible in the first year, and Buffalo are responsible in the second year. However they need Proof of Purchase.

"We need to have proof of when it was purchased or we cannot issue a replacement."

1) The item is CLEARLY a Buffalo product - I do not think that is in dispute.

2) The Item has CLEARLY developed a fault - I do not think that is in dispute.

3) I do not have my original proof of purchase, which obviously means I cannot prove how long I have had it for - this is the only information that Proof of Purchase will provide. Buffalo themselves will only provide a replacement for a defective unit if I have owned the product for bwtween one and two years. (The retailer is responsible in the first year)

4) However EU legislation creates a minimum period of two years in which a faulty product can be returned, and in England and Wales the figure is six years. It is not illogical to use the serial number to ascertain the manufacture date and you will clearly see that this product could not have been sold for more than 6 years.

The only other information that Proof of Purchase will provide is ownership, but unless someone else disputes this, or has reported it as stolen I do not see why all of this rests on this one document.

For any return for most companies a proof of purchase is required. Its like if you buy a product from argos, it goes faulty and you go back to the store without a receipt..... what would they do..... laugh right in your face!

I'm been looking at the warranty for the UK/European site and it clearly states:

"When returning a product, include your original proof of purchase. Return requests cannot be processed without proof of purchase.When returning a product, include your original proof of purchase. Return requests cannot be processed without proof of purchase."

You can look it up here: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/warranty/

When the device is purchased you also agree to the terms of the warranty so i don't think you really have a leg to stand on to be honest.

Just my 2 cents.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

witm

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »

davo - "Its like if you buy a product from argos, it goes faulty and you go back to the store without a receipt..... what would they do..... laugh right in your face!"

Note quite. If I were to take a TESCO produced item which was clearly manufactured by Tesco and sold by Tesco they would have no problem issuing a replacement with no proof of purchase if the original item was faulty. This has been my experience. The two points to note here is that 1) they did not dispute that it was bought from Tesco 2) Although they did not know when I originaly bought the item they did not seem to mind as they consider their customer service more important than leaving a customer with a defective item.

I am taking a Buffalo product back to Buffalo and all im asking for is some discretion regarding the date of purchase. The date is what is the most important as they will only, and fairly, replace products up to two years. I do not have a problem with this or their policy so re-reading their policy will do me no good. I know the product has not been sold to me for two years but I cannot prove it. I was only asking for Buffalo to look if it even possible for the unit (by looking at the serial number) to be in my possesion for two years. If its date of manufacture is 19/01/2008 or later then it is IMPOSSIBLE, regardless of proof , that I have owned it for more than two years.

If they can confirm that it was produced before that date then, as I cannot produce proof of purchase date, I can accept that, like you said, I don't really have a leg to stand on.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 01:58:50 AM »

Defective products may be replaced by the authorized Buffalo reseller or distributor from which the product was originally purchased, or directly through Buffalo based on the following procedures and requirements.

When returning a product, include your original proof of purchase. Return requests cannot be processed without proof of purchase. Shipment of returned product to Buffalo Technology is the responsibility of the purchaser. All expressed and implied warranties for the Buffalo product are limited in duration to the specified warranty period.

Please have your proof of purchase receipt to get warranty support. All defective products shall be returned with a proof of purchase. In no event shall Buffalo Technology's liability exceed the price paid for the product from direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages resulting from the use of the product, its accompanying software, or its documentation. Buffalo Technology does not offer refunds for any product.

Buffalo Technology USA replacement products are only shipped within the USA and Canada. If product has been exported outside these countries, customer must supply a US or Canadian address for shipping the replacement.

Additional requirements apply to memory product warranty support.