Author Topic: LS-W1.0TGL/R1 PSU died after power outage how to get data off.  (Read 1253 times)

PhilPage

• Calf
LS-W1.0TGL/R1 PSU died after power outage how to get data off.
« on: December 06, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
My Linkstation failed after a power outage, As far as I can tell its The PSU PCB (no +12 or +5V output).
The drives were in raid mirrored mode and when connected to a windows PC diskmanager can see them and also see the partitions on the drives but that is all I can do with them.
The questions I have are:

1: How do I get the data the data off of them onto my PC?

2: If I put the drives into another Linkstation of the same model will they just work so I can get the data off or will the new linkstation mess them up leaving me with lost data?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks Phil.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 01:49:06 PM by PhilPage »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS-W1.0TGL/R1 PSU died after power outage how to get data off.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »
If you connect them (or even 1 if they are mirrored) to a linux system you should be able to start the raid array and mount the xfs filesystem to copy off the data.

If you have another device that’s the same model you can move the drives.

I have one with a working psu and bad pcb if you want to work out some sort of swap. I beleive it is an R3 though.

PhilPage

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 03:47:06 AM »
Hi Thank you for the useful info,

It would appear that at least there is some way I can get the data back then.
I would be more than happy to purchase a replacement PCB They are manufactured by a company called UniFive but not available in the UK. I had considered making a wire loom to use my PC disk drive cable to power the linkstation.

Thanks Phil.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 04:59:14 AM by PhilPage »

PhilPage

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 05:08:36 AM »
Yay, I have sorted this and got the data off by making a lead that plugs into one of the free diskdrive cables in a spare PC and wiring this to the plug that goes to the controller PCB, Worked a treat.
Just need to find a suitable PSU and then it can be used again.

Thanks Phil.