Author Topic: Sleep disabled but still sleeping?  (Read 1904 times)

phirephoto

• Calf
Sleep disabled but still sleeping?
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »
Hi All,

I have a Buffalo Terastation, Firmware 1.73 (Latest I believe?) All sleep timers are disabled. HDD Spindown is disabled. I map to it from a few computers - 2 notebooks (1 with dual boot Linux/ Win 10, and a macbook pro) and a desktop with win 10.
So - I put the Desktop to hybernate overnight. Every day when I turn the PC back on, the drive isn't connected. It takes a good 5-10 minutes before I can connect to it.
Today, I went to reboot my desktop while I was on the macbook, and when the Desktop rebooted, the Macbook said something like "G Drive" (what I've named the map) is going offline" or something - flashed pretty quick, then lost connection to the NAS until the desktop rebooted.
Only thing I have installed on the desktop that I can think would cause this - wondering if it's the issue is Buffalo NAS Navigator.  Is that necessary? Is that what's causing this?

phirephoto

• Calf
Re: Sleep disabled but still sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:23:09 AM »
And I set up a daily e-mail from the NAS, set for midnight. The e-mail wasn't sent until a few minutes after I powered on my desktop.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 05:21:52 AM »
Which nas do you have?
Is there an AUTO position on your power switch?

phirephoto

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:55:55 AM »
I believe it's a TS-XL/R5. Not in a place where it's easy to access. The power button is a button for on / off, no switch that I recall. Is it in the back of the unit?

phirephoto

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
Which nas do you have?
Is there an AUTO position on your power switch?

No switch on the back that I see, just the power button on the front. Uninstalled NAS Navigator, and 5 minutes later, it went offline. I could ping it. Attempting to open it in the browser gives a 404. Waited about 10 minutes (had to leave for work), and now an hour later it hasn't come back online - I'm pretty sure. No e-mail notification that it came online.

phirephoto

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »
According to the e-mail I just got (I'm still at work), it just booted up. 6+ hours later.

phirephoto

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 08:42:09 PM »
Anyone have any ideas? As far as I can tell, it's most definitely relying on the NAS Navigator to be running. When I shut down that computer, I lose access to the NAS on other computers.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 08:50:51 PM »
I believe NasNavigator sends a keep-alive message to the device. I believe you can configure the device to shutdown if it isn’t receiving them. I’ve never used that feature but have heard it mentioned.

You should be able to turn that feature off. If changing the setting doesn’t seem to work you can try rebooting the device. If it still doesn’t work you can try turning the feature on then off again and reboot again.

If all else fails you could re-install the firmware.

phirephoto

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 10:38:25 PM »
Thank you both! That was it - I hope! the NAS isn't in a place where it's easy to access the back. Found a picture showing where the switch was and sort of 'felt' where it was!

Crossing fingers!

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 07:36:58 AM »

Power Mode
Manual

lakulaku

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 05:20:31 AM »
Buffalo NAS Navigator software has to be installed to sent remote wakeup to NAS,