Author Topic: LS Pro I/O Error  (Read 5160 times)

mdc1952

• Calf
LS Pro I/O Error
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »

We have a LinkStation Pro 500gb with firmware 1.11. We've had it for awhile but haven't done much with it yet, but have set it up, created several shares and copied on some files and folders. However, in trying to work with it recently we have been getting some errors that make it unusable.

From Windows XP, Vista, and Mac OS X, we can connect to the shares and see the files and folders on them. We can also copy individual files to and from the shares. However, when we try to do a folder operation like create a new one, copy an entire folder, or try to delete something, we get an error. On windows it says there was a device i/o error.

After this error occurs, the connected user can no longer see individual files or folders within visible folders. That is, you can see folders before the error occurs, but after the error when you open them, they appear empty even though there are files there. If someone else connects after another user has caused the error, they see the entire share as empty. A reboot of the LinkStation gets everything back.

Any ideas on what is causing this or how to fix it? We haven't tried reformatting yet, but that is our next option.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: the shares are set up with Access Restrictions disabled. 

Message Edited by mdc1952 on 11-13-2008 10:44 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LS Pro I/O Error
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:51:54 AM »
I would force the firmware on the unit then set it back to factory defaults in the web interface under maintenance.

mdc1952

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:19:41 AM »

I tried the firmware force but could not get it work. I tried editing the ini file setting Check Version to 0 and adding /force to the shortcut. In both cases, the updater told me the version was the same and didn't need upgrading. If there another way to force it?

Right now I'm doing a reformat of the disk to see if that helps.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »

test it with a direct connection to a PC and see if you are getting the same problems (this would be to rule out a network issue) also if you are in Europe then install the 1.15 version of the firmware.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mdc1952

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »

davo,

The manual indicates that a direct connection to a PC is not recommended for this model. Can you explain what you mean (just running an ethernet cable between them?)? 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »

Set a static IP on your PC to 192.168.11.10/255.255.255.0

then reboot and boot the LS in EM mode (by holding in the init button).

then try the force procedure. 

mdc1952

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »

Things are looking up after a few tense moments. When I couldn't get the firmware to force, I went ahead with a reformatting the disk. Started it yesterday about 10 am and it still hadn't finished by 5 when I left. This morning the unit had powered down, when I turned it on it booted ok but the disk was reported as unformatted. This time it formatted in a few minutes and now we are copying files onto it. Tried deleting some things and creating new folders and everything is ok for now. Keeping our fingers crossed.

If it becomes flaky again I'll try forcing the firmware again. 

BTW, could you tell me about EM Mode? I've seen it referenced in messages but there is nothing about it in the manual or the knowledge base.  

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:43:18 AM »
Its a safe mode for the device, with the unit powered off you hold in the reset button and power it up.