Author Topic: Twonky Just Showed UP  (Read 2361 times)

Jefhaugh

• Calf
Twonky Just Showed UP
« on: August 08, 2020, 04:58:44 PM »
I have a LS220 Linkstation (LS220DE4BC). I have been putting movies on it to watch via DLNA. But all of a sudden, instead of being "LS220...", it shows as "myTwonky Library at LS220DE4BC". I had no idea what "twonky" was before this. I don't know where it came from - the only thing I can figure is a recent Win10 update.

Anyway, when I go to my folders, Twonky says "No playable files in category."

I just want to get rid of Twonky, I don't need it. I can't find anything on the Buffalo control panel ("applications" only shows BitTorrent). I have the latest firmware.

I saw some forum suggestions to turn of media sharing, but that defeats my purpose of using the NAS as DLNA server.

So, how do I remove Twonky? Failing that, can I fix it so it plays my mp4/mkv files?

Thanks

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Twonky Just Showed UP
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:24:37 AM »
Twonky is the software used by the LinkStation to be a DLNA server. As far as what files can be played, that's dependent on the player. The DLNA server only serves the files, it doesn't do any kind of decoding.

Jefhaugh

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
But the confusing part is that is just showed up. I've been using the Linkstation for a couple of years and never saw "Twonky" until last week. And the videos that used to play no longer play.

Can I just delete Twonky and go back to what I was doing?

I'm resetting the Linkstation but haven't yet checked the results.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
You cannot delete Twonky. You've been using Twonky the whole time, that's the software that enables the DLNA function. I'm not sure what has changed for you.

Jefhaugh

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:35:00 AM »
It went from showing up as "Linkstation..." to "Twonky Server on Linkstation..." and my videos don't work.

It may have changed with my last Win10 update, but that doesn't make sense to me how a PC update would affect the NAS and my TV.