Author Topic: Data Recovery LS-WX2.0TL/R1: Both Drives have errors  (Read 4213 times)

lroman

• Calf
Data Recovery LS-WX2.0TL/R1: Both Drives have errors
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »
I have an LS-WX2.0TL/R1 running raid1.  Both drives have a status of error and I receive a message the drives have too many bad sectors and to replace them.  Is it possible to replace the drives one at a time so I can recover my data?  I have attempted the process as outlined in the manual but, after replacing one drive I go to settings, the new drive still shows a status of error and buttons (check disk, format disk, rediscover disk) are greyed out.  Under raid array the mode shows "not configured".  Have I missed a step or does this indicate further that I am screwed?

Any help/direction to solve my issue would be greatly appreciated.  Even if that means I get confirmation that I will need to send the disks off to have the data recovered (if I can't do it myself).

Thanks in advance for your help!

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.

lroman

• Calf
Re: Data Recovery LS-WX2.0TL/R1: Both Drives have errors
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
I am not sure I understand.  Do I type these commands from the command line?  My apologies but, I need a little further direction. 

mkdir /mnt/daten

mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md1 /dev/sdb6

mount /dev/md1 /mnt/daten

ls -l /mnt/daten

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 04:51:50 AM »
Then translate my howto and read it

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
the exact steps you should take depend greatly one the state of the drivers and the overall mdadm array.

1. connect the drives to a PC running linux. If it's raid1 you can do 1 drive at a time, that would mean you can't start the array with both drives but if the array failed that probably won't work anyway.

2. Examine the array.
if the array starts on it's own you should see it in the output of:
Code: [Select]
mdadm --detail --scanif so you can probably skip trying to start it.

to try starting from one disk take a look at one of the partitions that makes up the array
mdadm -E /dev/sdx6
from this you can get some useful information about the array the partition is part of, most importantly the UUID.

you can then force the array to start form just that disk:
mdadm -A /dev/md99 -u <Array UUID> --run /dev/sdx6
**if the array was detected but not started it may refuse to start because it's already listed as md127 or something similar. In that case you can run:
mdadm --stop /dev/md127[56789]
3. mount the array
if the array starts successfully you can try mounting it it to access your data:
mkdir /mnt/recover
mount /dev/md99 /mnt/recover

If the mount fails it could be an issue with the XFS filesystem. You can try both disks and/or try repairing the filesystem.