Author Topic: Windows Server 2016  (Read 6954 times)

syvertson

• Calf
Windows Server 2016
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:22:53 PM »
I have an older NAS.  Model number WS-QVL/R5.  When I restore the machine using the restore USB, it creates a tiny partition for the operating system, which causes many problems.  Also, the operating system is nearing end of its support life.  So, I purchased Windows Server 2016, and have been able to get the machine up and running, and can even set up a software raid for the drives.  This is not what I want though.  I would really like to get the hardware raid working.  I can't find any information on how to do this manually in my configuration.  I see that the NAS Navigator is the way to configure it remotely, but the server must not have the right services running for the NAS Navigator to "see" it on the network.

Any help out there?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:24:47 PM by syvertson »

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Windows Server 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »
This unit does not have a hardware RAID, it originally shipped with software RAID.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Windows Server 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
Neat!

Do you have any of the other buffalo software running on WS2016? If so did it initialize the LCD display or does it still say "booting from hdd1" or something similar?

If the buffalo software isn't working you should be able to control some of the other built in functions (LCD display, LEDs, buzzer, etc) using a python library that I put together. Information about that can be found here:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Terastation_Microcontroller_Interface

I've never tried it from windows but I would expect it to work by replacing "/dev/ttyS1" wiith "COM1" or something similar. I'd be willing to help out with testing if you'd like to give it a try.