Author Topic: PASSWORD RESET FOR TS-QVH  (Read 3166 times)

Flavasupreme

• Calf
PASSWORD RESET FOR TS-QVH
« on: July 08, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
Hey Everyone,  I am having some login issues with (well we, ME AND my boss) the TS-QVH4.0

a previous employee had changed the password on the admin. and the only access we have is "as a user"

now I stumbled on the POST http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=18348.msg73562#msg73562"

factory reset to default for the TS54000D

I FOLLOWED EVERY STEP that you posted but up until "Right click title bar > debug", it didn't give me an option to do it.

it, however, helped me to update the firmware which we have been trying to do for the longest.

is there any other way? because I think I have tried everything. (operative word try). I am still kinda new to this technical level of raid)

Also in trying to do things, this happened (well before trying your way)

PS. I ALSO CONTACTED BUFFALO AND THEY REFERRED ME TO HERE. TO SEE IF THERE IS A WORK AROUND

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE..

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: PASSWORD RESET FOR TS-QVH
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 04:23:18 PM »
Debug options may not be available in this unit's firmware - it's not supported by engineering and this has an i386 processor, so it uses a different boot method.

Resetting the password isn't designed to be easy, I'm afraid. You can do a wipe reinstall on these with a reinstall key, and that of course clears passwords, but you'd have to restore data from backup.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

Flavasupreme

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »
@Eastmarch

Is there a link that could show me how to do this?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:12:08 PM »
Out of interested I tried resetting mine and was able to do so without too much trouble.

The process was as follows:

1. Download an older Linux LiveCD image such as the Ubuntu Desktop 14.04.6 LTS install CD. (I initially tried my Debian 10 installer but I think the modern kernel conflicted with the older kernel used by the buffalo firmware.)
2. Write the CD image to a usb drive
dd if=ubuntu-14.04.6-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=512
3. Shut down the Terastation, attach a monitor and keyboard/mouse
4. Flip the boot switch on the terastation to "USB" and insert the usb drive
5. Power on the terastation and wait until it boots into ubuntu
6. open a terminal window, switch user to root
sudo su
7. install mdadm
apt-get update; apt-get install mdadm
(ignore any errors related to postfix)
8. assemble all software raid arrays using mdadm
mdadm --assemble --scan
9. determine which array is associated with the second partition of each disk (sda2 etc), mide was /dev/md125
lsblk or mdadm -E /dev/sda2
10. mount that array to /mnt
mount /dev/md125 /mnt
11. chroot into /mnt and load a shell
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
12. change the admin password from within the chroot environment
passwd admin
13. exit the chroot environment
exit
14. unmount the array
umount /mnt
15. flip the switch on the back to "hdd" and reboot the device
16. When the terastation comes back up use the password you set to log into the web interface.
17. Change your password again using the web interface to ensure it gets set properly for all firmware features.
18. remove the usb drive if you haven't already, reboot the device again for good measure.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
Yes, that's the sneaky way to do it  :)

Reinstalling from a reinstall key isn't too bad - support can send you one for a nominal fee. You just boot to it and it reinstalls. You may have to wipe the drives.

Or you can do the small footprint Linux USB boot as he says.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**