Author Topic: Lightning damage to a HD-HTGL  (Read 1541 times)

LordSkitch

• Calf
Lightning damage to a HD-HTGL
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:22:28 PM »

I've got one of the original (I think) Terastations, I can't give you exact model numbers and whatnot because I can't connect to it at the moment. It's one of the grey box 1TB systems that originally had 4 WD 2MB cache drives (one failed and was replaced by a 16MB cache Seagate drive long ago). We had a rather nasty lightning storm, and lightning hit the transformer outside my house knocking out power, and a little bit of my equipment. Long story short, the file server won't work right any more.

If I power it up normally, it does its little blinking ring POST, then cuts power once the drives are accessed. I thought there may be a problem with one or more of the drives, so I opened her up and disconnected the drives, and the same thing happened. Then I thought the power supply may have failed on one of the rails not needed for the POST, so I hooked up an external power supply to the motherboard, with nothing else connected but the front bezel, it too POST'd then cut power. After a few hours of various attempts, I hooked everything back up, and quit for the night.

The next day I randomly tried holding down the INIT button and turning it on, to discover that works, and found out that it's the "Emergency Mode" or whatever, kind of a safe mode it would appear for the system. It accessed the drives, and I just let it do its thing for about 6 hours, which is about the normal time it took to scan the drives previously, once it was done I tried hooking it up to the network, only to find it doesn't want to. I tried multiple combinations of switches and then a direct link, to try that TFTP boot rom thing, and that didn't work either. Nothing detects a connection from the Terastation.

At this point I can only assume the network chip on it is fried, but I don't know why it would cut power under normal booting circumstances. Is there anything anyone can think of that I haven't tried yet, or the possibility of finding replacement motherboards for these things?

Thanks for any help or insight!