Author Topic: Cannot download firmware for BS-GS2008 - Your Website is BROKEN  (Read 5643 times)

kevinflyn

• Calf
Given that you are a technology company, selling technology products, that operate primarily at the infrastructure layer, which requires a high degree of availability, it is particularly frustrating for customers who attempt to do something as simple as a firmware update, to find your website horribly broken.

If I log into the web administration interface of my BS-GS2008 switch, and click the download icon, I am taken to a download page that does not display any firmware updates for the device. I would imagine that most people would then think "oh, there must not be any new firmware files for my device" but this is not the case.

If I use open a browser to your website product support page at https://www.buffalotech.com/products/gigabit-green-ethernet-smart-switches and select "downloads" it displays a firmware download for version 1.0.3.36 which is the same that is installed on my device, so again, a customer would think "oh, great, I have the latest firmware."

If I use your website and select "Support" at the top of the page, then "Downloads" in the dropdown menu, and enter my product which is BS-GS2008 I am again taken to a page that displays the above 1.0.3.36 firmware update file.

If I use a search engine like google, or duckduckgo, and I enter "bs-gs-2008 firmware" it brings me to a link at https://www.buffalo-technology.com/productpage/switch-bs-gs/ which is a different domain name, looks like your company owns it, and according to whois was registered to your company at some point in the past, yet, is now using a privacy protected registration. The page shows release notes and firmware updater with versions 1.0.3.43 but the links are broken, and return XML formatted error messages.

Guys, is it really so hard to make a web site that allows people to download firmware files that works ? It's almost like you've gone out of your way to make it impossible.

Does anyone even know what the latest firmware is ? I would ask, but I expect someone will just look at one of the links I've listed and state with authority "thats the latest" and not actually go and research it.

{facepalm}

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Cannot download firmware for BS-GS2008 - Your Website is BROKEN
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 02:09:30 PM »
buffalo-technology.com is the European website. They do not maintain or participate in these forums.

kevinflyn

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 08:40:44 PM »
This is the exact type of response I expected.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:02:13 PM »

I just downloaded the 1.0.3.43 firmware file from the page you linked to without any issues.

kevinflyn

• Calf
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:45:08 PM by kevinflyn »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
Looks kind of like you didn’t click “i’m not a robot” or are blocking javascript or something.

kevinflyn

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:16:43 PM »
Looks kind of like you didn’t click “i’m not a robot” or are blocking javascript or something.

Well, we could guess repeatedly in the hopes we get lucky, or someone at buffalo could email it to my email address on file and solve my problem, or maybe look at the website code and make the firmware file public for everyone regardless of them jumping through hoops ?

ps. The captcha work just fine, thats how I'm posting these comments. {facepalm}