Author Topic: How to enable SMBv2 on Linkstation LS-WXL systems so it works with modern OSes  (Read 198755 times)

LesG

• Calf
I had to do this a couple of years ago. Tonight I saw that a new firmware (1.75) was out. Against my better judgment, I installed it and promptly lost access to all of my files again, so I had to stumble my way through this solution again with the help of Internet Archive (https://web.archive.org/web/20190718105044/http://nerdkey.co.uk:80/guides/enable-ssh-linkstation-stock-firmware/):

Thanks for that link philadopolis. My Linkstation is on an older version of the firmware and I have been ignoring the new firmware messages purely because (like you) it was a while ago that I 'cracked' the LS-WXL. The 'how-to' instructions were on another (now gone) forum so it's a relief to me that you have found that.

I may now upgrade it, but I'm tempted to put Debian on instead.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:44:07 AM by LesG »

LesG

• Calf
I said...

I may now upgrade it, but I'm tempted to put Debian on instead.

I installed Debian successfully... at first... then things started going downhill. The default RAID0 parition (md2) is xfs and wouldn't mount, I was getting V1 inode errors. I was unable to get around that, xfs_repair reported no superblock. I think the partition's version of xfs was too old for the Debian xfs utils progs. Then the /boot partition wouldn't mount and the fstab became unreadable (as if it has become a binary file. Yet it still booted ??? It seemed as if I was running into one problem after another so I restored everything back to stock (latest firmware)

Maybe I'll try again one day.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
That sounds ... weird to say the least.

There shouldn't be any xfs compatibility issues to worry about, I recently mounted an XFS volume from ~2006 on a modern system without issue. My first guess would be to wonder if you have drive(s) that are starting to fail some of what you describe might make sense if you had a bunch of read failures happening.

LesG

• Calf
I've totally rebuild the NAS now, to stock 1.75. That didn't go without problem either so perhaps there was some underlying disk problem. Disks have been erased, reformated and the stock firmware reflashed (from emergency mode) so hopefully I now have a clean system to work with.

I will try updating it to debian again because I think there are advantages to it. I use a modified version of the 'custom sleep' program that worked with the Buffalo 'auto sleep' mode functionality - that program will need some modification I suspect.

In retrospect, and tbh, I think I missed a step from your 'post installations' instructions (I was using Novaspirit Tech's YouTube video as my prime source and he whizzed through the process) As a result, I trashed my md2 partition and my attempts to recover it were only making matters worse. I don't know RAID and should have been circumspect in my actions. But that's how I learn; leaping in, trashing stuff and recovering from it! Not recommended practice but it adds to the thrills :)

Edit: having successfully installed debian and got the nas up, restored and running, I set to modifying my 'custom sleep' programs. I quickly realised there was more work in that than I wanted - so I've reverted back to the stock firmware. In short, the programs need to be able to find the status of the auto switch and that was a feature of the stock firmware. I looked phy_restart.sh  (from the device specific notes) but I was unable to work out if that'd tell me what I need to know and, if so, how.

It's been a fun exercise and has kept me amused in these 'lock down' times! 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:59:44 AM by LesG »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull

peterbell

• Calf
LS-WVLE25, Win 10 20H2.
Came across this thread after loosing all my mapped drives on my NAS, looks to be the solution to my problem.
However, I don't know root's password to start the process, it isn't password.
I still have access to it through my browser using admin, and all my data is still appears to be there in their folders. What can I do?

PS. I have used WinSCP and PuTTY with my Raspberry PI so I moderately familiar with making an ssh connection.

Thanks

jawa39

• Calf
I have one LS-WXL device. Last year I tried the debian install with some success. There were some issues so that I would go back to the stock firmware.

First note was that I was able to install any other way than the boostrap method possibly due to low ram. I never was able to go through the installation as the device would crash. I believe is the ram that is limiting this.

After installing using the boostrap method. The main concern that I had is the fans running full speed. The fan speed testing runs through adjusting the fans correctly. But I was never able to adjust the fans to low speed.

It would be so cool if someone could put out a guide for this specific device (LS-WXL) for a full working installation.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
That's a bit odd since the LS-WXL is usually the device I use to test that particular installer, though it has been a while. I'm assuming we're talking about the LS-WXL, the LS-XL definitely needs the bootstrap method (but doesn't have fans so I doubt that's what you mean).

I haven't used fancontrol much but when I did I found I had to set the thresholds much lower than would be intuitive to make it actually reduce fan speeds.

peterbell

• Calf
LS-WVLE25, Win 10 20H2.
Came across this thread after loosing all my mapped drives on my NAS, looks to be the solution to my problem.
However, I don't know root's password to start the process, it isn't password.
I still have access to it through my browser using admin, and all my data is still appears to be there in their folders. What can I do?

PS. I have used WinSCP and PuTTY with my Raspberry PI so I moderately familiar with making an ssh connection.

Thanks
I have read that ACP Commander would allow me to setup ssh but all links I have to that software have been closed.
Is this the only way?
All suggestions welcome!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
This version makes changing the root password and enabling telnet pretty easy:
https://github.com/1000001101000/acp-commander

peterbell

• Calf
Thanks.
I had found this working link for ACP Commander
http://downloads.ebox.at/downloads/buffalo/
And this walk through guide to moving to SMB 2, which has worked for me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVOx2COnqxg

NAS back and all my mapped drives

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
So does anyone know why the config changes are allowing SMBv2 share access is still allowing discovery via SMBv1.0/CIFS but nothing newer?

My Laptop was the only device that could "see" the NAS in the Network list, I found the difference was my laptop still had SMBv1.0/CIFS Server (and SMBv1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal) enabled. So I disabled both and now my laptop can't "see" the NAS in the Network list.

If you know the hostname it will connect fine, but again I'd like to be able to change this so that it can be found without having to have the old protocol enabled. Is this possible? And can anyone post the appropriate method for doing so?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
If I remember correctly I had to create/adjust the IPC$ share in samba to control how the device was detected and who could enumerate shares.

I think in my case I was trying to limit discoverability. It’s been a few years and I don’t remember much detail.

It might be looking into that piece.

I’m guessing there are different protocols/defaults for discovery on smb1 vs smb2 which probably explains the difference between devices.

james301

• Calf
It's been a while, is anyone still around?
I understand the theory and the steps needed to get to SMB2. I’m currently completely lost as to how to do it. I will start working on it and see how far I can get. I’ve been up for over 24 hours, so please be kind!
EDIT: I used the acp_commander_gui_156 and was able to get it into the shh(or what ever it was) MODE. But Im going to go to bed.
EDIT: When setting the Root Password, should it be the same as the admin password, -or should it be unique?

I have an old Link Station Live. Model LS-X3.0TL and for some reason there is also reference to LS-XL957. I have been trying to figure out if this will work on my LS? Anyone know?

It is a 3TB Sata HD. With Firmware version 1.75. Will this stuff work with FW 1.75?  I have FW 1.74 if it will NOT work with 1.75.

I am also wondering if I can change it to SMB3? As in windows 11 there is only the option of SMB1 or SMB3?
EDIT: Ive learned a lot in the past few hours. I turned on SMB3 on Both my systems and changed the settings in my other LS and DOUBLED my transfer rates. COOL>

Will I need the SMB2/3 protocol to upload to the LS? IF so where do I get it/then put it?

I think the answers to these questions will really help me out and get me started in the right direction.

Thank you so much for any help.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 10:47:16 AM by james301 »
- Owner of: LS-X3.0 and LS710DD8CA

james301

• Calf
Well, I did it!
I installed the latest Java software.
Found acp_Commander_GUI which worked really slick. Download here: https://advanxer.com/2013/02/buffalo-linkstation-acp-commander-gui/
I put in the IP address and the admin password, then Enabled SSH, and set a root password.

Then I found WinSCP to log into the root of the drive, and edit the smb.sh file as instructed.
The instructions on how to use WinSCP is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVOx2COnqxg
You can download WinSCP here: https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

with those two files makes it so easy to do.
- Owner of: LS-X3.0 and LS710DD8CA