Author Topic: Replacing with fresh HDDs and getting BOOT FAIL (TS5800D)  (Read 11660 times)

stripling

• Calf
Replacing with fresh HDDs and getting BOOT FAIL (TS5800D)
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »
I got a used Terastation TS5800D and I have to set it up without any additional enclosure with it. I use 8 fresh HDDs for this terastation and try to start it. But I just get the message in the monitor says "BOOT FAIL". I don't know what to do then. I want to do the boot from USB buat I don't know which ISO/image files should be put in the USB and the procedure to make this old terastation get alive *sigh*
Please, I need help :( I have sent an email to the support center but still no answer :(
Thank you very much for your attention.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Replacing with fresh HDDs and getting BOOT FAIL (TS5800D)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:44:37 AM »
You need the boot image to reinstall the unit. PM me for it.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »
There's a download available to build a bootable USB key for the TS5000 series to reload the OS.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

stripling

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:25:21 PM »
Thank you everyone! I already figured it out. I used the ISO for 5400 series to make the terastation visible to be detected and then I updated the firmware. The firmware would be transferred to the terastation :)
Anyway, I got any problem. This TS5800D has 8 slots for the disk drives. But only 4 of them could be read. Do you have any idea how to read all the 8 disk drives?
*should I make a new post for this problem?
Thank you :)

stripling

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Anyway, I just realize that I used the wrong series. Now my terastation became TS5400D instead of TS5800D. So what should I do for this? :( Can you send me the ISO for the usb? I cannot find it anywhere. Thank you

stripling

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:41:24 PM »
Finally, all the problem are solved :D
Thank you for your reply guys...

dhenmalonzo

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 01:25:29 AM »
Good Morning

i replace 4 new Hard disk on my tera station model ts5400d. when i turn on
it show boot fail. please help me to solve this issue or send me link where
to download the boot image. my email is benedict@alfarahuae.com

thanks

regards
benedict

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »
grab the ts5000 firmware and usb recovery disk image from the ts5000 downloads page
create the usb boot disk
switch the boot switch on the back to usb
insert the usb recovery disk and boot the device
modify tsupdater to enable debug mode
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Enable_Debug_mode
use tsupdater (with repartition and reformat debug options selected) to install the firmware
switch the boot switch on the back to hdd and boot up

kostia

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
Hi, help please, where can I download buffalo terastation ts5200 recovery image ?? My buffalo terastation ts5200 crashes

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull

slybrood7

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
Hi I have the qvh12tl/r6 (terastation pro)  My tech accidentally removed all the drives and wiped them clean, then put them back into the enclosure and now gets the Boot Fail error message on the LCD.  I was able to obtain the TS-VHL_series1.31 images from another moderator on the site. However I am a bit confused from that point, I made a standard USB boot disk and dropped the extracted TS folder onto the USB drive. From there i cannot get any of those files to run on the system.  I can access the USB drive on the terastation.  I tried taking those ISO images and mounting them on my windows PC however the images dont seem to be able to open on windows.  Im guessing this all has something to do with the type of file system or the type of USB boot method that im installing on the actual USB stick. Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
I'm not sure if what they provide for the TS-VHL series is the same as for the TS5000 series but here are the instructions for loading it on a USB drive:
https://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/creating-a-terastation-5000-recover-key-from-a-downloaded-image

I also created a guide for making your own recovery image for this model:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Create_Recovery_Disk_for_Intel-based_Terastation

The main thing to understand is that you need to write the bootable image to the usb disk which is different than loading files to it. You'll need to use "dd" or something equivalent to accomplish this.