Author Topic: Permit Open Source Firmware such as OpenWRT in the future  (Read 7439 times)

wub

• Calf
Permit Open Source Firmware such as OpenWRT in the future
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:03:07 PM »
I apologize for not knowing chapter and verse, but I have been hearing that recent FCC rules attempting to protect doppler radars from 5 GHz wireless hardware are likely to result in wireless routers which cannot run alternative firmware, such as OpenWRT.  An article on arstechnica.com for May 13, 2016 says that Linksys will make sure that OpenWRT can be installed on their WRT series in the future.  When I bought my WZR-600DHP, I only considered hardware with the ability to run OpenWRT.  Since Buffalo had chosen to ship this router with OpenWRT already available in the box (! - greatly appreciated, by the way), I am hoping that you will be able to find a path to continue the availability of this feature in the future.  Please!!

Although I could possibly be a replicant, ala Blade Runner, and not be aware of my actual composition,  my incept date was far more than 4 years ago.  I believe I am human.  But I have a terrible time passing the "Select all images with street signs" challenge.  Hope I actually get to send this message - I often give up after 10-15 minutes...  PS, the "easier challenges" aren't.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: Permit Open Source Firmware such as OpenWRT in the future
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »
DD-WRT NXT is the path we are taking to comply with FCC regulations and still provide this to end-users.

One of the DD-WRT NXT features is the ability to install OpenWRT packages.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**