Author Topic: Compatible HDD for the Link Station Quad  (Read 6221 times)

Singbuffalo

• Calf
Compatible HDD for the Link Station Quad
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:19 AM »

Hi All,

I got myself a LS Quad that came with a single 500 Gb drive a few months back.  Bought a couple of new 500 Gb HDDs this week to populate the rest of the slots but have so far fail.  The new drives are Western Digital 500 Gb SATA.  Everytime I plug one or more of them into the LS and restarts, the power LED flashes red.  I tested the new drives on my PC and they work fine.  I also tried sticking a 1.5 Tb Seagate and  1.0 Tb WD Green into it and got the same result. 

Has anyone successfully put a non-Buffalo HDD into their LS?  Incidentally, the drive that came with my unit is a Hitachi.  Is there a list of compatible drives that we can use with the Quad? Suggestions welcomed!  Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Compatible HDD for the Link Station Quad
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:50 AM »
You cannot swap out hard drives with this unit like that. You need to have the oringal raid with the unit. Plus we cannot support upgrading the hard drives.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »

To attempt something like this you would have to replace one drive at a time, doing a force firmware update inbetween.  It's possible that the TFTP would work but I am not sure.  This is not supported and will void your warranty.

Also we at Buffalo do not make the HDDs for these units.  They are all made by big name manufacturers like seagate, western digital and hitachi.  The problem is that you can't just swap the HDDs from this unit and expect it to work.  The intended purpose of being able to remove these drives is to replace one in case of HDD failure.

Singbuffalo

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 01:11:50 PM »

Tx for the replies.  Just to clarify, I did not remove the original drive that came with the unit.  I had basically want to populate the remaining 3 free slots.  But given your replies, does it mean that I am basically stuck with just having a single drive? If not, how do I go about 'upgrading' it?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »

Singbuffalo

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »

Tx.  I see.  So, I just need to buy these official replacement HDDs from Buffalo and stick them into the empty slots and I will be able to boost the capacity to 2 Tb (assuming I get 3x 500Gb HDDs)?

Is there anyway for me to use the regular HDDs that I have already bought?  When I bought my LS, the sales-person told me that I can easily increase the capacity of the unit with regular HDDs.  Looks like that is not true eh?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
Ok, I'm still confused, do you have a 4 HDD model then, or the 1 HDD model of the LS Quad?  Please provide a model number for me.

Singbuffalo

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »
   I have the 1 HDD model. LS-Q500L/1D.  Do you mean to say that I cannot simply put in more HDDs into the 1 HDD model even though it has empty slots for more drives?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »
You can with this unit but you must use the HDDs that we sell (the links I gave you).  I just wanted to make sure that we were talknig about the same unit

Singbuffalo

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »
   I see.  Is there any way for me to use non-Buffalo drives.  According to the sales person I bought this from, it can be done (and quite easily he said). Sigh.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
No sir, no way that I know of.

Singbuffalo

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
   Thats too bad. Sigh.  Thanks for the excellent help though.