Author Topic: Remote Backup to NON-Buffalo Storage  (Read 7758 times)

sweetevil28

• Calf
Remote Backup to NON-Buffalo Storage
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »
   Has anyone been able to back up to an externa, non-buffalo, storage device via an IP address? I was hoping to get a confirmation that it can be done before wasting a bunch of time. Thanks

Edin

• Calf
Re: Remote Backup to NON-Buffalo Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »
   I was wondering if built in NAS backup, instead of backing up to another NAS storage, can do that to attached external USB storage.

Mengsk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »

According to the instructions you can only backup to a connected USB hard drive or another Linkstation.

Mengsk

Disk Backup
Up to 8 scheduled backup jobs can be created. Click on any Job Number to configure a backup job. You may schedule your LinkStation to create a backup to an external USB hard drive or to another LinkStation.

To use a USB hard drive as your backup destination, its file system must be either FAT32, XFS, or EXT3.
FAT32 has a maximum file size of 2GB. XFS or EXT3 is recommended for backup hard drives.
Never unplug the power or USB cord while performing a backup.
You cannot perform the following operations during the backup process:
- LinkStation Initialization
- Disk format
- Disk check
- Create backup job
- Addition/editing/deletion of shared folder/group/user

Message Edited by Mengsk on 10-06-2008 08:06 PM
Message Edited by Mengsk on 10-06-2008 08:06 PM

Edin

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
   Thank you.

jnissen

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »

OK so if I have a 750GB USB drive and it's configured for FAT32 I should be able to make a backup of my Linkstation Quad (2TB)? I presently only have about 600GB of data on the system. Yeah I know I may eventually have to get a large backup USB disk but it should work for now.

So my question is if the LS does go bad and has a drive go down... It's running RAID5 so it "should" be able to repair itself if I replaced the drive that goes bad. My question is if the raid goes south (more than one drive or the files are corrupted badly) then how easy is it to restore the files from a USB backup? I am assuming if I hooked the USB drive directly to the LS for this. Does the built in software have a good "restore" feature?

I am very worried I am only relying on the LS Quad for the data. I don't have a backup for it becuase I was under the assumption that the RAID5 would essentially be a backup. Now I am not so convinced. I think I would still like to have a stand alone backup besides the RAID5 useable data. Is this a good move to make? I mean worst case I could put the USB backup into a safe place in case something drastic happened to my system (fire, etc...)