Author Topic: Can I extend my existing WBMR-HP-GN WLAN with WHR-G300N?  (Read 3115 times)

jussiv

• Calf
Can I extend my existing WBMR-HP-GN WLAN with WHR-G300N?
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »

Hi,

I have just purchased a WHR-G300N with the plan to extend my WLAN range of WBMR-HP-GN. After several hours of fiddling and reading I can't get it working.

Is there a way to config my WHR-G300N so that it could do what I want? If not would another Buffalo modem type solve my problem easily if I decide to update the ADSL modem?

With best regards,

Jussi, Finland

jussiv

• Calf
Re: Can I extend my existing WBMR-HP-GN WLAN with WHR-G300N?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »

A minor detail to add: The exact model is WHR-G300N V2 if that makes any difference.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »

You could most likely do it if the WHR-G300N v2 was running dd-wrt.

But before you go flashing dd-wrt to this unit let me get this straight though, you are basically wanting to use the WHR-G300N as a repeater? Linking it to the WBMR-HP-GN? via wireless or wired?

jussiv

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:32:21 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for your input buddee. My goal is to have the WHR-G300N V2 as a wireless repeater. I have a desktop computer in the end of the building which currently has a weak connection with the WBMR-HP-GN. Out of curiosity I did test the connection with a cable and found out that it works instantly. Connecting the WHR this way would not help me at all and that is why I am lending your brains.

So the answer to your question: the WHR-G300N would be a repeater with wireless connection to WBMR-HP-GN and also it would need to offer the internet connection wirelessly onwards to my computer.

Your proposal of flashing the WHR-G300N  looks good. I have seen discussions about this but wouldn't this be a 3rd party software which voids the warranty once installed on my Buffalo? At least this is how I understood it and that is why I wanted to hear if there is another way of accomplish what I am after. Well in any case this will not be a problem for me if it solves the problem. So please any links or input is highly appreciated and I am naturally keen on giving more information about my system if that is needed.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »

Yes, flashing dd-wrt to that particular unit will most likely void the warranty, i am not sure if you could do it with the 'user friendly' firmware either as i have not used the friendly firmware enough to know what it can do. I will say this though, if the friendly firmware has WDS in it, which from what i read it does, you could link the routers together with WDS, i just dont know how to do it with the friendly firmware.

jussiv

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »

To my knowledge there is no firmware update available for the WBMR-HP-GN that would give the WDS option. I need to start looking at the dd-wrt next.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »

dd-wrt could do it, and the WHR-G300N v2 is supported by dd-wrt, but word of warning, not only will it probably void your warranty, its hard to revert back to stock firmware should you not like using dd-wrt. so if you do it, its gonna be a semi-permanant thing. but with dd-wrt you have more modes for linking.  You could then use client mode on the WHR-G300N and link that into the AP.

jussiv

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »

Ok, well noted. Thanks for your help.