Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH wi-fi connections suddenly stopping or freezing  (Read 8163 times)

darrinbutts

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH wi-fi connections suddenly stopping or freezing
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »

The forums including here, DD-WRT forums as well as OpenWRT forums are filled with people trying to get this router to work without dropped Wifi connections, and the only way I've seen people solve it is to buy a different router.

kamiller42

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »

There are two kind of wireless drops...

1. One or more connected devices suddenly drop connection.
  2. The wireless support crashes. No SSID broadcasts. No device can connect ever until the router or wireless is restarted.

This thread is about #2.

There was a suggestion to reset defaults. I have telneted to the router and erased nvram. It's still crashing.

kd4das

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 05:47:20 AM »

Mine is now going on two days without wifi shutting down daily. I simply downgraded the firmware from 1.76 to 1.74. So far, so good.

nicrtson

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »

I don't know if this helps but I help me...

My Wireless connection kept resetting ever hour putting my computer into a local network connection only..I would get a yellow ! icon on my wireless connection on my windows 7 laptop taskbar. All I needed to do is disconnect and reconnect to the router and it would work perfectly. I decided to mess around with the router settings and after a few minutes I noticed a rekey interval setting in wireless-config->basic(11n-g-b) was set to 60 minutes I changed that to 0 so it will never reset my key and It's works.

I also had a problem connecting to the router's web config page with a wireless connection(it work great with wire access) so I noticed a setting under muticast control called snooping.The definetion of snooping is "Snooping observes multicast control packets like IGMP to control unnecessary packet transfer to wired and wireless port."..By enabling this it now seems to work great I have no complaints about this router at all..I love all the nice features this has..media server and bittorrent...

I hope this helps someone other then me...

Snooping observes multicast control packets like IGMP to control unnecessary packet transfer to wired and wireless port.

smitty870

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »

kd4das wrote:

Mine is now going on two days without wifi shutting down daily. I simply downgraded the firmware from 1.76 to 1.74. So far, so good.

I've successfully been running 1.74 without as well without issue.   The only problem with this router using buffalo is you have to reboot every change, no internal loopback if your trying to test an internet site and the menus are slow.

kamiller42

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »

I think I found a partial solution around Buffalo's bug of the crashing wifi driver. It's been working the past week or so.

I schedule a cron job to reset the ath0 wireless interface. (This is better than a cron job to reset the router.) As a bonus, I issue a command to juice the signal to maximum power, something I can't achieve through the web interface. The only downside is if you reset your router, the power won't be reset until the cron job runs.

Here's my cron job... just past into the cron section in under Administration/Management,,,

00 04 * * * root ifconfig ath0 down
01 04 * * * root ifconfig ath0 up
02 04 * * * root iwconfig ath0 txpower 100mW

I have it turning off at 0400, back on at 0401, and powered up at 0402. It's likely they can run in sequence at 0400, but I haven't tried it. I issue the command to go to 100mW, but my router achieves maxes 79mW.

nhanquy

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 01:38:30 AM »

>>> The only downside is if you reset your router, the power won't be reset until the cron job runs.

Why don't you put it in the startup script (under DD-WRT Admin->command) ?

kamiller42

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »

Good idea. Will do.

To be honest, I didn't put much thought into it because I don't reset often. I just added. Thanks.