Author Topic: Slow upload speed and intermittenly slows to a crawl with WHR-HP-GN  (Read 1895 times)

trigger

• Calf

I had this router setup great previously, but I accidentally re-initialized the unit and reset everything. I was using the router to provide connectivity to various laptops, and an XBox 360, as well as online video sreaming. The streaming box is connected wirelessly to the internet, and streams the video to the XBox great.

Now, that i have accidentally trashed all of the custom settings, i am trying to figure out what I'm missing. I can get great results (speakeasy speedtest) with a laptop plugged right into the cable modem, it works great if I hard-wire the laptop to the Buffalo router, and it still works great when I have the laptop close to the router, and connect wirelessly.

The problem occurs when I put some distance between the router and the laptop. Its not a large distance, literally three steps back and sitting on the couch makes downloads drop a little, but the concern is with the upload speed dropping from ~4Mbps to ~0.6Mbps when I step away.

Also, the bandwidth speed on the download varies wildly, hitting ~15Mbps one second, dropping to under 1Mbps, and then becoming unusuable in the space of 1-2 minutes. What other settings tweaks should I try?

The only change I made to was the router, by initializing it. Everything else has stayed the same, but now the streaming video setup I had is constantly buffering and stopping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did setup the port fowarding settings.