Author Topic: Problem: "sending DHCP_RELEASE"  (Read 2607 times)

sudol

• Calf
Problem: "sending DHCP_RELEASE"
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:09:26 AM »

Hello

I have a WHR-G300N Ver.1.85 (R1.18/B1.03). I just updated it before posting, just in case.

I have a internet connection through a ethernet network. It has its own DHCP server.

I have serveral computers and i want my own lan, so I bough this router.

I connect the cable to the blue socket on the router, and all my computers to the others.

This setup has worked for around six months.

A few days ago, I couldnt connect to the internet. Router claimed it didnt find any DHCP server.

After some log digging, I found this pattern.

A lot of messages like:

2012/01/01 00:03:07DHCPCInfo : IP Address

All the info is the right one.

It finally states (surprise):

2012/01/01 00:03:18DHCPCDetected DHCP Server

I have a syslog server where I save the router's log since i bought it, so i checked and I found that, up to here, this is the right behavoir.

But after 40 seconds or so:

2012/01/01 00:03:56DHCPCterminating on signal 1
2012/01/01 00:03:55DHCPCsending DHCP_RELEASE for <assigned ip> to <dhcp server ip>

Connection works perfectly if I connect it directly to a computer. Best proof is this very post.

On those 40 seconds before seding the DHCP_RELEASE, it works as well, as it has worked before.

So, the question is kinda technical:

What can trigger the router to send such DHCP_RELEASE message?

thanks a lot

sudol

• Calf
Re: Problem: "sending DHCP_RELEASE"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:26:36 AM »

I updated to the latest firmware and reset before posting here, just in case. There was no change, save for a new figure on the version number ;)

However, yesterday it resumed working again, as magicly as it stoped working before.

I didn't do anything to break it, nor to fix it. Two days ago it sent the DHCP_RELEASE, now it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure it will happen again. Checking my logs, it HAS happened before, but it was such short time I didnt notice. So there is "something" that triggers the router to send it, i just want to know what are the possible triggers.

Is the firmware source avileable somewhere? 

VladMaxed

• Calf
Re: Problem: "sending DHCP_RELEASE"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:05 AM »

Hi

I had similar issue. I found that one of the 2 routers(Netgear which works as DCHP server and Buffalo with routing off) in my system uses only last letters of compter name. For example I have following computers:

Peter-PC

Smater-PC

in list of attached devices they both look like:

er-PC 

er-PC

or sometimes they look like

r-PC or even -PC 

After that  Buffalo going crazy and retrieve and release DHCP lease non stop. I fixed it by renaming computers which is sucks. I didn't have time to look which router does it. Maybe today I will investigate it.

I hope it will help. 

Vlad