Author Topic: Not getting good file transfer rate...  (Read 1943 times)

HowardWoodard

• Calf
Not getting good file transfer rate...
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Well, after requesting my activation email (msn) a gazillion times and being told that it had been successfully sent I finally registered a new user and used a gmail address.  I received the activation immediately and was able to complete the registration.

As a new user of the Buffalo LS421DE I have several questions but will separate them into different posts for clarity sake.  Hope that's alright.

The first question...

I have a pretty powerful PC -- quad processor, lots of memory and a Gigabyte Ethernet port -- connected to an Asus WAP/Router that also provides Gigabyte Ethernet ports -- which the LS421DE is also connected to. I easily achieve 50 GB/s -- the maximum of my subscription service -- via the same router and over the cable modem.

When I first set the LinkStation up it set up a RAID 0 configuration.  The fasted transfer rate I ever observed -- big files, small files, it didn't matter -- was around 40 MB/s and the average seemed to be approx. 34 MB/s.  And that was only after I had disabled DLNA.

Since RAID 0 doesn't provide data redundancy I deleted the RAID 0 array and created a RAID 1 array.  Now the maximum transfer rate I'm seeing is just over 24 MB/s.

Neither of these rates is anywhere close to the advertised 80 MB/s rate on the box -- the reason I bought this particular device in the first place.

Can you tell me how I can identify the bottleneck that is throttling the potential rate of 80 MB/s back to 24-34 MB/s?

Thanks in advance,

Howard
Redmond, WA
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:07:43 AM by HowardWoodard »

ratty2013

• Buffalo
Re: Not getting good file transfer rate...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »
A couple of things to try first to see if they make any difference.

1. Change your IP address of your computer and your linkstation to a static one and not from the DHCP. This can sometimes improve transfer speed.

2. Turn off jumbo frames if you have them enabled. Using jumbo frames will reduce CPU load, but will reduce transfer speed.

HowardWoodard

• Calf
Re: Not getting good file transfer rate...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »
Thanks for the two suggestions.

(1) Was already using a static IP address.
(2) The Asus RT-N65U does not support Jumbo Frames.

Any more suggestions?

Also, is there a tool that would help identify the speed of specific segments in the connection (computer to router/switch, router/switch to NAS) to help me isolate where the bottlenecking is actually occurring?

Thanks in advance,

Howard