Products > Solved Storage Threads

TS5410DN1602 will not boot completely after power loss

(1/1)

jmcvickar:
Greetings.  I have a TS5410DN1602 that was running fine until we had a storm yesterday and inadvertently shut down the device.  (I intended to power down an older NAS to save battery)  I used the power button but when trying to bring back up the device appears to be loading but never makes it through booting before it shuts down again.  Sequence is:
Power up
LAN activity light flashing
LCD shows booting then changes to Welcome to Terastation
Power light begins blinking green on/off about every second
I see drive activity on all 4 drives
Eventually beeps, LCD goes dark, then it reboots
Rinse and repeat

I think I have good backups but would ideally restore this to functioning but not quite sure what is the problem.  Is is the boot info on the server that would be a problem?  Is there a way to download or purchase a bootable image and is that safe to do without overwriting the raid array?

I tried booting with a drive removed (another post suggested that was a way to see if a drive was bad) but after all 4 same results.

I'm out of warranty although would be willing to pay support for assistance but cannot find a way to contact support.

Would buying 4 new drives and building the machine back allow me to create a emergency boot image that I could use with these drives? 

Welcome any suggestions on how best to recover the machine and data, even if temporarily to ensure my backups are good.

Thanks
Jack

Updated:
Couple additional points
I am never able to see the server in the NAS Navigator nor do I ever see it on the network although it shows LAN activity via the light
I am not sure I can manually boot to EM for this model but tried that by holding the function key during bootup, nothing changed.
I need to time it but think it probably runs less than 5 minutes before the reboot.
Never shows any other lights other than power blinking green, LAN blinking green and activity lights next to each drive.

Texturtle:
Support will still talk to you and help with this.

Go to https://www.buffalotech.com/support and enter your serial number.

jmcvickar:
Thanks Texturtle, I thought in the past I could but when I plug in the serial it comes up saying out of warranty and all options except data recovery are greyed out.  CORRECTION - I looked again and the out of warranty email option is functioning so will try that.

Thanks
Jack

jmcvickar:
Updates on progress:
Contacted out of warranty support but still waiting to hear back.  (Did say up to 72 hours)
Found in the manual on page 268 section on what to do when power LED keeps blinking.  Have walked through those steps 3 times now but same end result back to it rebooting repeatedly and never coming online.

First try - left Recover Firmware to revert settings of last shutdown
Second try - Revert settings to last boot (3/19/23)
Third try - Revert settings to last boot (3/19/23)

After 2nd try I noticed that the error went to I45 - Recovery Failed.  Was able to get back to EM but never fully boots.

Anyone run into this before and recall how to recover?
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version