Author Topic: Settings for WHR-HP-G300N bridging  (Read 5226 times)

Sierraguy

• Calf
Settings for WHR-HP-G300N bridging
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »

I flashed 2 WHR-HP-G300N to DD-WRT from the Buffalo site.  I followed the DD-WRT instructions for  setting up a wireless bridge.  I'm getting consistent disconnects between the 2 devices and have to repeatedly reboot the client.  I used the basic setting instructions from the DD-WRT site.

Has ANYONE gotten a bridge to work between these two devices?  Mine are only 25 feet away with clear line of site.  One in my office upstairs and one in the living room serving a HDTV, XBox 360 and Samsung C5500 bluray.

My signal strength never get's above 50%. The XBox complains about NAT during  the few times it connects to XBox Live.  

I'm about to return both routers and start from scratch running a cable across the floor!!!

If anyone has gotten a stable bridge between 2 WHR-HP-G300Ns using DD-WRT (from  Buffalo's site), could you please forward me your settings.   I don't want to revert to the Buffalo stock firmware as WDS is out of the question.  I need WPA2...

I'm not new to networking, have years of professional experience, but am new  to DD-WRT and am stumped.  All wireless phones are 6ghz, the client is near the HDTV but not blocked.

Can someone help here?  Moderator, does Buffalo support the DD-WRT from their website?  Perhaps someone within Buffalo who has a bridge running??

Anyone with advice will be revered as a Bridging God!!!  I'm about to pull my hair out.

PS.  I have a high gain antenna coming in from Buffalo but don't feel this will resolve anything.

Issue is closed. The routers have been returned and I'm getting HD quality throughput using individual wireless adapters...  Much cheaper when it comes to time!!!!

OleThomasO

• Calf
Re: Settings for WHR-HP-G300N bridging
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:42:50 AM »

To keep the answer as short as possible: switch to WEP encryption on the link.

I have tried using WPA and WPA 2, with EAS, TKIP or both, but it's the same story, the WDS link goes up for a short period, then goes down.
With WEP it stays up.
If you need to have WPA / WPA2 encryption for your network, there is still a way to fix it using 2 SSID's:

First you create the primary SSID, ("WDS-link") with WEP encryption. Then select "don't broadcast SSID" (hiding it from plain view)

Then you create a second SSID ("Home") with WPA / WPA2 encryption.

The airstations will use the hidden SSID with WEP encryption to establish the WDS, and you can use the other SSID with WPA / WPA2 to comunicate.

masteryoda

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »

here's a good place to start. Please follow the instruction to the "T"

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

If you goal is to connect 2 WIRED Networks choose "Client/Client Bridge" 

If your goal is to EXTEND the WIRELESS RANGE use Repeater Bridge

ohi1l

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:36:08 AM »

Hi, .. I think the problem is the latest DD-WRT firmware version.  I just got a pair of these things & set them up in an AP/Client bridge configuration & all worked well, .... .   until I flashed on the build 14998 Firmware  on both routers.

Then bridging was imediately broken. The routers could see each other, but the bridging thing didn't happen

I then flashed back the distribution build 14512 from the distribution CD, onto the client bridge router. & all was well again.  

So, ... it looks like there is something not quite right with the most recent firmware build, at least a far as bridge configuration is concerned.

Sierraguy

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 01:41:01 AM »

Uhhhh.  I did.  To the "T".  After 20 years in the IT business, technical details aren't foreign...  

To the "t" and it didn't work otherwise I wouldn't have made the first post.  No to could get it to work so, as time is money, it was cheaper to use individual adapters...  

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

Haha, i love this "i've worked 20 years in the IT Business" cake. Listen, he was only offering a suggestion. No one is prefect, there's no need to get up on your high horse about it!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

setuid

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »

"If your goal is to EXTEND the WIRELESS RANGE use Repeater Bridge"

Note, these options are not available on the WHR-HP-G300N firmware revisions.

Both Buffalo supplied and community dd-wrt do not have them, and you can NOT extend a wireless network using the WHR-HP-G300N router over wireless (i.e. "universal wireless repeater" mode).

mucazzi

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »

I also had client bridging working. My G300N was Client bridged to a DLink DIR-655 (my main router). It set up pretty easily. Worked great the first day. The second day the Buffalo dropped the connection and I had to reboot it. Then it happened more frequently. So I thought upgrading the firmware might help. I flashed from the 5/28/10 version to 14988. Now I can't get it to work at all. Under status I can see it connected, but cannot do anything with it. Before, I could ping my DLink and open it's setup page from behind the Buffalo. Now I cannot even Ping it. After reflashing the Buffalo I happened to look at the DLink's log and found that the Buffalo was being disconnected previously with a message saying it was being Deauthenticated. This happened to occur as the DLink firewall was also blocking a port scan from its WAN side. The buffalo is on the LAN side so this should not be an issue with it. So my guess is that the Buffalo was not disconnecting because it had a problem but was being booted because the DLink had a problem. I will try to flash my out of the box version again and try it with a different router.

If anyone knows anything about this authentication issue though, please let me know.

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: Settings for WHR-HP-G300N bridging-This is all BS!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »

Client modes work fine on dd-wrt, read the dd-wrt wiki guides and follow them, and no, there isn't a "repeater" mode on Atheros based units such as the WHR-HP-G300N, you have to use client mode then create wireless virtual interfaces (VAPs) for the wireless clients to connect to. I have done this so many times i can't count now, and its always worked.

mucazzi

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »

Buddee,

What build are you using? I had the same trouble where I flashed the newest build and bridging stopped working. After reflashing the version from my setup disk everything worked like a tank again. No troubles, no issues.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »

Currently using 16144, but it worked for me when i used 14998, 15704 etc.

Its never not worked for me no matter the build.

gbxk86a

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »

Thought I would share with you on my experience with build 14998.  I tried my utmost to try to connect a WHR-HP-G300N as a client bridge to another WHR...AP, but could not.  I do have experience to configure several client bridge G routers of several brands in the past.  I finally gave up and did a WDS AP and WDS station with WPA2-AES security.  I did not specify any virtual interface as I do not plan to connect any wireless client to the WDS station, but they connect and communicate anyway.  I hesitated to use WDS because I was concerned about drop in bandwidth by half.  I figured that client bridges would not cut the bandwidth so that I can stream videos and movies anywhere in the house network.  The WDS configured as I described without virtual interface did seem like working like a client bridge mode.  I also hooked up two Netgear WNR2000V2 N routers with Tomato firmware as client bridges to the wireless network.  Everything seems to work.  I was able to stream movies and recorded HD TV from one PC to media players in another router.  If WDS configured without a virtual interface works like a client bridge, Buffalo should explain that to the customers instead of offering client bridge as an optional mode that would never work.

The Netgear routers as client bridgea were stable and connections remain intact for a couple of days now.  They dropped connections quite frequently when I first tried them as client bridges using dd-wrt community firmware.  The Buffalo, however was good for one day and lost the wireless connection.  Checking the status of the Buffalo AP revealed it still has the Buffalo WDS station as a client, but somehow data and internet are not going through.  Thus, I needed a reboot.  I just changed theoperating mode of Buffalo WDS station to a router status instead of gateway under advanced routing tab.  I hope that may make a difference in keeping the connection.

After a few day tinkering with the four new N-routers, finally I have acheived about 90% of what I need, i.e. a N wireless network of four routers, one as AP and three as client bridges, each with a number of PC and devices (media players, HDTV tuners and blue ray players) connected to the ethernet port.  It would be nice if the Buffalo WDS station can keep the connection 24/7.

I certainly welcome any suggestion.  I still hope the next release of Buffalo dd-wrt will offer a stable client bridge connection.