Author Topic: HDD error on Linkstation Pro Duo  (Read 4203 times)

houseofit

• Calf
HDD error on Linkstation Pro Duo
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »

Hi.

I have a Linkstation Pro Duo 1 TB. I have bought two now and i get the same error :

DISK Error Notification

HDD error occured

Nothing more. I get 4 of them each time, and it oftens happens when i access the web-interface. I have a USB disk attached to the USB port with a powered USB hub between.

I run firmware 3.07

Any help ?

Best regards

Thomas T

kevin

• El Toro
Re: HDD error on Linkstation Pro Duo
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »

It could be something with the way the unit is trying to connect to the USB drive through the USB hub, they generally like a direct connection.

Have you tried unplugging the USB drive to see if you get those errors? Do any of the lights on the front of the unit indicate any errors?

Are these notifications through the web interface or by email?

houseofit

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:22:25 AM »
   I tried to connect the USB drive directly but it gave me some problems. I could format the drive, but when i made a diskcheck i got errors. The drive is powered by USB and i read that this could be a problem so i tried to but a USB hub in between. I can now format it, run checkdisk without problems. The backup also works fine but i get theese error everytime i try something. I only get them on mail, nothing in the webinterface.

houseofit

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:23:21 AM »
   No errors on the front light....

houseofit

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »

Ps. Tried another USB disk today and it gave me the same problem.

Is it the USB disk or the internal disk that gives me the problem. I can't quite see this from the mail. Is there a way to find out where the problem is ???

peternie

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:29:57 AM »

Just for your information. I receive the same email if I unplug the USB-drive. I was in for a shock after receiving this mail the first time (receive it twice every time). Unfortunately in general you think that the internal HDD seems to have an error as the mail refers to the internal HDD.

Try to use the LS a day or so without the external USB and look if you receive the mail again. Support queries were always answered with "there is no support for USB-Hubs, plug the device directly to the LS only" .

Hope you find a solution very soon.

Best regards from Germany,

Peter

houseofit

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:42:48 AM »

I don't think i will get the error without the USB disk attached, but it should work.

Funny, i don't get an error if i remove the disk, just tried and it worked fine. The funny thing is that it doesn't seem to be a problem, but it is very hard to find out from that short mail.

If they won't answer the mail because i use a USB HUB it is okay, but then they must answer why i get even more errors if i don't use it.

Thanks for the hint.  

Regards Thomas T