Author Topic: File security tool download  (Read 4225 times)

juliantchan

• Calf
File security tool download
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:20:29 AM »

LS-WVL user manual mentioned it may need to install and execute "file security tool" from the installation CD to oversome come W7 or Vista security issue. I bought the system in Asia. The installatiopn has no "file security tool" at all. Can some one help me to understand what problem the tool exactly fixed for?  Seems same questioin raised in this forum drew no to the point answer. Furthwer, where I can download this file?

JC

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: File security tool download
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »

What W7 Vista security issue? You mean the NTLM settings that are mentioned in our General FAQ?

juliantchan

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »

Jotin,

I am referring to p.173 and 174 of the user manual (35011114-5.zip - ZIP) in the folllowing page:

http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/support/download.cgi?country=sg&to=ls_wvl_e

I have quite a bit of troubles in accessing folder/data Linkstation Pro Duo after installation

(e.g. login with admin with local LAN WebAccess, DB folder created by phpmyadmin admin is not accessible by another user or even WebAccess admin himself)

For this utility, In fact, I would also like to know what exactly "File Security Tool" is fixing for.

I have two other simple questions raised but have received no answer yet.

I don't mind if the answer is "No, we don't support" or "No, we can't reveal".

JC

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:26:04 AM »

The file security tool is for putting permisions on files, not for fixing any issue that you are having. I would try looking up in the general FAQ and finding the section about changing the NTLM settings on your PC.

juliantchan

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:51:25 AM »

No luck even after applying the suggested NTLM fixed in the FAQ.

What other alternatives can be tried?

--JC

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »

Ok, just to clarify... What exact access issues are you having? Are you having issues accessing it through Windows, Webaccess or your phpadmin?

juliantchan

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:55:11 AM »

My aim is to make use of MySQL. As such, I have activated MySQL with NAS pointing to a pre-created folder (MySQL, same level as "Share" and "info') manually. Thru phpMyAdmin, I have created a databse called DG3 which is cfreated under folder MySQL as expected. Using Buffalo Nas Navigator navigating to foler MySQL, double click DGS to access the content. At this point, Windows responded with an error as in below:

Windows cannot access \\XYZNAS\MySQL\DG

You do not have permission to access \\XYZNAS\MySQL\DG3. Contact your network

administrtaor to request access.

For more informastion about permissions, see Windows help and support

using Windows Explorer to access DG3 yielded same negative result.

Uisng IE 9 and url http://XYZNAS.com:9000 i a LAN envrionment and login as admin (and user1 too), then, folder MySQL does not show up at all.

For another test, thru Windows Explorer, navigated to MySQL and created a new folder NEW-TEST same level as DG3. Thru Buffalo NAS Navigator, there's no issue to access content of NEW-TEST (which shows folder is empty).

In summary:

1. There is no issue to access DG3 thru phpMyAdmin (since it was created by phpMyAdmin)

2. No other users can access DG3 except thru phpMyAdmin

Following infora]mation is provide for your analysis:

NAS host name: XYZNAS

NAS is connected to a router (D-Link DIR-655) withy Fixed IP (no DHCP)

Web service has been defined using port 9000

Port forwarding is defined thru virtual server where  ext and int port = 9000

A DNS has been created and is called XYZNAS.no-ip.com

PC Client software: Windows 7 Pro (login ID "user1" has been created for [primary login to sync same NAS user ID)

Buffalo NAS Navoigator: V2.32

Buffalo LS/WVL firmware: V1.41

Buffalo login IDs:

admin

user1

Access control with folderr MySQL:

Group level: admin (with user ID "admin") and user1 (with user ID "user1") have READ/WRITE saccess

User level  : both admin and usrers1 have READ/WRITE access

Hope above in formation is sufficient for you to identify my wrong doings committed.

Regards,

JC

epareja

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:23:57 PM »

Did you manage to resolve this problem? I'm in the same situation and the database directories are blocked by the system. I'm trying to enter as an administrator but that directory is protected and cannot be deleted.

Buffalo team is reading this forums?????

juliantchan

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:24 PM »

I have not received furthrr eply from forum admin on same topic.

Until now, I am not able to resolve the problem toatlly.

As a temporry measure to move forward, I am not creating new MySQL instance but using the embedded TEST instance with MySQL.

As such, I am able to move data into it successfully.

To tackle the problem, I have tried by removing the Windows 7 access security level restriction but without success too

(contreol panel=>user accounts=>change user account control setting).

Another member claimed he has fixed the problem:

1. during insatllation, under option menu, execute a small progrma which can change the secutriy level setting.

2. this small program actually implement the same manual procedure explained in above but throught change of registry

Since I have mis-placed my release CD-ROM, i did not bother to pursue this route.

The situation of the issue is that:

1. database folder was created under Linkstation user (admin, user, etc)

2. when configuring MyQL, user phpMyAdmin? is used

3. when data is written to the database, access security conflict arises

Hope above may help you.

Please update if you have new findings woith above information.

JC

epareja

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »

Hello Julian

I installed the File Security Tool but it doesn't allow me to enter, and actually delete the MySQL folder that I don't want anymore.

I hope the Buffalo admins answer your question that is very well explained.

Bye and thank you

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:34 AM »

This is the same situation on my linkstation as well. I do not have access to the phpmyadmin or mysql folders. I am honestly not that familear with the way that this is supposed to work. Why would you want access to these folders through Windows? Is there something you can do through Windows that you cannot do through the web gui?

juliantchan

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »

In fact, I want to install Gallery 3 (a PHP Photo Album application) with the LinkStation Pro Duo.

I hit with problem when executing one of the installation step (not sure if it is not a binary file).

I do not know if this step can be executed thru/by Linkstation UI or not.

Here is the url of threads that I communicated with a contributor who has installed Gallery with PCI NAS01G before

sohonas.freeforums.org/galley-2-3-1-photo-album-t147.html?

I have stuck in step 10 of thread Number 7.

Wish Buffalo is able to simulate/reproduce the problem and see if there's solution circumvene it.

Thanks and Regards,

JC

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »

I doubt that this will work but if you want you can send me what you have on this with any instructions that you have and I'll see if I can get it to work. What is the benefit of installing this php application?

juliantchan

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

Sir, I am making use of MySQL, Apache and PHP that comes with Linkstation Pro Duo to set up my own website.

I also have plan to install other applications under this platform too.

Thanks in advance for your offer to try getting the installation working.

As such, I will extract the Gallery installation procedure from the developer for your pursue bynext 1-2 days thru PM.

I have mentioned ealier that I have access problem using the database created by myself under PhpAdmin but I have no issue to use the "test" folder embedded/comes with MySQL. The only drqwback is that I can only use one database (that is, can only instalI 1 application). I think, if we can find out the access control diffeences between these two folders, we may be able to identify the issue.

Thanks and Regards,

JC?

?