Author Topic: no "Lang.exe" icon to click to update NasNavi  (Read 4312 times)

Danno

• Calf
no "Lang.exe" icon to click to update NasNavi
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:37:41 PM »

Hello.  I have an LS-XH2.0TL and firmware is 1.24.  I've been having all sorts of errors resulting from not being able to update NasNavi correctly (apparently).  I downloaded the update (NasNavi 2.24) and the instructions say to click on the Lang.exe icon.  No such icon/file exists in the folder, and I have the same problem no many how many times I re-try the download.  Other install methods I've tried, such as clicking on other executables within the folder, don't seem to work or produce error conditions.

Thanks.

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: no "Lang.exe" icon to click to update NasNavi
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:29:08 AM »

Make sure that you extract the nasnavi.exe file.

Danno

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:55:16 AM »

Thanks JoshC,

I did extract the nasnavi-224_win.zip file, which uncompressed to a folder named nasnavi-224_win, within which was another folder named NASNavigatorVer.2.24.  Within THAT folder there is no Lang.exe file.  There is a file named NASNAVI2.EXE, but it is not compressed.  Executing it does not install the software.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:01:04 AM »

Run the inst.exe it should put the Icon on your desktop.

Danno

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »

The inst.exe does appear to install something, but not put the icon on my desktop, and when I reboot I get two error messages:

"Failed to read NASNaviPreference.xml.  Install application again."  Reinstalling does not help.

"NAS PM Service Install failure."

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »

Which OS are you using and what region did you purchase your device from?  Did you download it hardwired or wireless and what client are you using to extract the files?  Have you tried it on another PC? I apologize for all the questions.

Danno

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Amazon.com

Downloaded over D-Link wireless N - don't remember ever having a single corrupt file in over 1.5 years using the router / adapter combination, and I maintain multiple websites over it.

Use Windows7 to extract the files.

I get the same errors on all 4 PCs on our network.

These are interesting questions and I can tell you're trying to be very thorough in your troubleshooting.  I hope I answered them adequately.

Don't apologize for the questions...your help is truly very, very much appreciated!  I guess it's pretty unusual not to see the Lang.exe file at all?  This is very weird.

I could try to download and install everything using one of the hardwired PCs if you think it's worth a try.

If I install the drivers and NASNavi off the CD everything works fine (if I remember right).  The problems start when I try to update.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »

Try to uninstall Nas Navi and then download it hardwired and see what that does.  That lang.exe is from the older teranavigator software.

Danno

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:46:09 AM »

I can try that over the weekend.

This is the paticular link for software related to the LinkStation Pro™ - LS-XHL.  Is this the correct version?

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/nasnavi-224_win.zip

Danno

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 05:17:14 AM »

JoshC,

I think we can finally close this thread!  I uninstalled, then downloaded and installed the CD version, and everything works perfectly.  I have NASNavi 2.25 this way.

I think if you investigate the link I posted above to the NASNavi update you'll find something isn't right with it.

Thanks again for your help.  The LS-XH2.0TL works beautifully with our network for sharing files, video, photos and our iTunes, but even better, it works perfectly with our SONOS music system.  This way we can listen to our music collection from anywhere in the house, wirelessly, without a computer even being turned on!