Author Topic: HS-DH500GL went down during firware upgrade: appears dead now...  (Read 3237 times)

lc2000

• Calf

Hi,

My Linkstation 500 Live start giving the "FAN ERROR" message (4 red light signs), and was not reacheable via the network.

After some reading here in the forum, I went for the firware upgrade, using the TFTP boot method, with the LinkStation attached directly to the PC.

Firmware started file transfer to the LSL, but, almost at the end (about 95-98%), the LSL decided to shutdown :-(

Now, I can not "take it" via the TFTP boot anymore...

Is there any other method for trying the firmware again?

The only thing I ear now after power-on is a "click" avery 4-5 seconds.

If there is nothing else to do about the box, and assuming the disk is not dead, what is the best way to recover data content?

Thank you in advance for replies/suggestions.

Luis

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: HS-DH500GL went down during firware upgrade: appears dead now...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 06:19:51 AM »
I'm sorry but that clicking sound means the HDD is dying or is dead. My best recommendation would be to contact a 3rd party data recovery center. Do not attempt TFTP or force firmware updates as this lessens the chances of recovering your data successfully.

lc2000

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:13:24 AM »

Thank you for the prompt reply Dustrega. Will take the disk out of the enclosure and follow your advise for recovery.

I know the following is not suported by Buffalo, but can I buy a similar disk and install it inside the enclosure and make it work again?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »

As you said, it isn't supported by Buffalo, but you may get a new drive to work in the device by booting off TFTP, then performing a force update with all four configuration options checked. "Rebuild Partition Table" will wipe the disk and partition it accordingly.

BTW,  4 blinks is the E04 can't load kernal error.  Not a bad fan.

lc2000

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 05:02:03 PM »

Will try as you say.

Thank you for your help!