Author Topic: Knocked over NAS 7 red, then EM partition not found when update FW  (Read 6355 times)

hodda

• Calf

Ok, not massively tech savvy but here goes.

Moved linkstation live 1TB NAS LS-CHL when I was trying to set up with a new mac and in short it got knocked over as I was attaching to the mac.

Got an error 7 red flashes on led front, was unsure if due to knock or due to mac so restarted it, it then came on with a single amber flash. 

Read up on this and found that it may need FW update so downloaded nas navigator to new mac and linked up with it, and it found it but said two things:

1)Bad sectors (from the sma etime as being knocked over)

2)Emergency mode update FW

Looked this up and tried to update FW but it couldnt do it as it was unable to find partition or words to that effect, was unsure if this was a mac thing (new to mac) so decided to try and update FW from old win 7 PC but same again no partition found and aborting update.

Looked up spme more, tryed this turn off, hold func for 10 sec turn on press once more procedure - is now flashing blue constant in the function light.

I have tried to read and understand the FAQ but tbh its well above my level - would like to 1)recover data if I can 2) fix and use without deleting it 3) connect up and work with the new mac.

Any help appreciated and as I say not great with tech knowledge but can follow procedures etc.

Please help thanks

hodda

• Calf
Re: Knocked over NAS 7 red, then EM partition not found when update FW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »

Ok I started to do FAQ 2 to force FW update, DL the 1.6 have changed the ini file to debug mode but when I launch it doesnt go into any area where I can chage options it just says that updating wil essentially wipe all data on the target - do I need to DL a different FW version - will try the 1.2 version 

hodda

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »

Ok so got to the debug mode and need to rebuild partition - says that it will wipe target is this the last resort?

Anyway of getting to data before I do this or sorting it out without wiping data as I do not want to lose whats on there?

hodda

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

Ok so it stayed in blue flashing function for well over two hours now, so decided to reboot it - it now flashing 6 red and navigator cant see it

hodda

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »

Navigator can see it again but em mode and 1 long 1 short amber flash - Im going to leave this alone now until someone can advise

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »

1 long and one short amber flash means there are physical bad sectors on the HDD. There would be nothing you could do to get the unit into an operational state again.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

hodda

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:54 AM »

Hmmm gutted!

This has come from the knock over has it?

Anyway on the back of your response I tried the faq 2 fix and force FW with new partition - it failed this and said something like ACP_STATE_FAILURE.

Now looking to the future, can I replace the hd in the LS with a new one and then use as it was before - can this be done? Is is hard to do without wrecking the lot and what type of HD to replace with does it matter?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »

Just replace the HDD and follow FAQ 3 of 5 to load the boot image and then reinstall the firmware.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

hodda

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »

Thats good thank you.

I opened it up and it has a 1TB WD caviar green in there - looked for one of these and the difference between 1TB and 2TB is neglible, whilst I am at it can I change it for a 2TB or will that give me problems?

hodda

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »

Replaced HD and did the TFTP boot image procedure but whrn I come to reinstall firmware using lsupdater 1.6 it is unable to find the linkstation. Any ideas?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
Make sure the ip of the pc is in the same range as the linkstation and that you can ping it and make sure your anti virus and firewall is disabled.