Author Topic: Drive Letter changing When External Hard drive is switched on  (Read 1169 times)

thenoo

• Calf
Drive Letter changing When External Hard drive is switched on
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »

I have the fallowing drive letters already assigned in my desktop :-

C,D,F,G - all  internal hard drives.

H - An external thumbdrive which I have permanently plugged in and is used to store data automatically each day.

I have now recently bought a Buffalo 2-Tbte USB3 External drive which , although I have it permanently attached to the USB3 onthe m/b , it has a separate power on/off switch which , when it is powered ON the hard drive letters change now to :-

H, I - Buffalo drives

J - the thumbdrive ( previously H )

ThIs causes some data back-up software a problem as it is looking for its previous destination which has now been re-allocated a new drive letter.

Moreover , after using the Buffalo drive and then once more switching it off - drives H & I disappear of course but the thumbdrive does not have its previously assigned drive letter (H) re-assigned to it and now needs this to be re-assigned.

I would like , therefore ,to have the drives assigned to the Buffalo each time I switch it on to be Y and Z , thus obviating this drive letter confusion .

Is this possible ? and , if so , how would I arrange it ?

dach

• Tatanka
Re: Drive Letter changing When External Hard drive is switched on
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »

Control Panel -> System & Security -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management 

Right click on the drive letter for popup menu, choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

thenoo

• Calf
Re: Drive Letter changing When External Hard drive is switched on
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:28:04 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware of that procedure and have just used it OK .

This seems to have sorted it out as , now , whenever I use the external drive it allocates letters I & J to the Buffallo drives but now leaves the thumbdrive letter  , H ,unchanged  which is what I wanted.