Author Topic: Pro Duo TFTP recovery  (Read 5077 times)

themel

• Calf
Pro Duo TFTP recovery
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »

Hi,

I just spent a couple of hours trying to reset a very confused 2TB LinkStation Pro Duo to factory state. The box came with firmware 3.07 installed, but I managed to break it in a complicated way. Since resetting via TFTP and firmware upgrade didn't get it back to working state, I assumed that completely clearing the disks might be a good idea. I deleted all the partitions from both disks, but apparently that was a bad idea - now I can't even get it to boot from TFTP.

A couple of questions:

- Is this what the 3.08 firmware release notes refer to as "- Fixed unable boot up system when disk failure error happens."?

- Is there a way to force the Pro Duo to boot from TFTP, no matter what's on the hard disks? Serial console available if it helps.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Pro Duo TFTP recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »

Both Disks should be in Fat 32

The firmware fix is referring to one down hard drive not both.

The TFTP is the only way to resolve this issue, if not you will have to rma it if you did not void the warranty. 

themel

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »

Thanks for the information...

I tried putting one large, empty FAT32 partition on each of the disks and booting, but that doesn't seem to work either.  Are you sure FAT32 is correct? The console complains about ext2 file systems

Loading from block device ide device 0, partition 1: Name: hda1
  Type: U-Boot  File:/initrd.buffalo
Failed to mount ext2 fil*s* Bad ext2 partition or disk - ide 0:1 **
Using device ide1, partition 1

Loading from block device ide device 1, partition 1: Name: hdb1
  Type: U-Boot  File:/initrd.buffalo
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - ide 1:1 **
Lost all init_rd

I am quite sure that the warranty on this one is voided, but I also have a couple of onmodified ones, and I'm still a bit confused about the Pro Duo's behaviour - shouldn't it fall back to TFTP boot when the hard drives are unbootable?

themel

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:40:41 PM »

And a bonus question in the same vein:

Once I run the TFTP recovery process, the LSUpdater for firmware v3.08 doesn't find the device. Neither does that for v3.07, the version it came with.

Upon closer inspection, I suspect this is because the LS announces itself as "LS-WTGL/R1 (KOGEN)", vs it originally was a "LS-WTGL/R1-V3(SEIMU)". Does that mean we should have a separate TFTP recovery kit for boxes that came with v3? Can I safely install v1.08 and then upgrade to v3.08? 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »

The unit will see the drives in fat 32 then you can change the format of the data partition to ext3 or xfs (depending on the model)

We have 2 versions of this unit out, If you load the 1.08 firmware that is meant for a different hardware version you will brick the unit.  

I will pm you on this

dn1982

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »

Help I think I might have just done this.  After I used TFTP the only firmware updater that would recognise my v3 was the v1 firmware.  So I installed this and now I have a fully functioning v1 box.

How can I upgrade it to v3?  Is there another TFTP kit which allows me to use v3 firmware?

Many thanks,

David