Author Topic: Hard disk crashed after 2 months  (Read 1187 times)

thedutchviking

• Calf
Hard disk crashed after 2 months
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »

Hi

Having a linkstation mini 1tb for to months now. Started this weekend with adding a lot of my cd's on the harddisk by importing them through itunes and saving them directly on the linkstation. Yesterday I already had some problems importing cd's with curious messages from itunes.

Just today suddenly it began raing mails notifying disk error problems. A thousand mails in two hours or something. I couldn't login to the NAS navigator anymore so decided to shut down the whole thing. After restart things didn't get better but noticed now that the linkstation performs a shutdown of itself after about 5-10 minutes.

I expect that this is a problem for service engineers and one or both of the harddisks are dead. I will send the **bleep** thing back to the shop and request a complete  new one since it is only to months old. But before that I wan't some affirmation that there is nothing I can do to get som live in it again.

And what should give me trust that a new one will keep working?

Btw, it is good to receive diskerror mails but does this have to spam my mailbox with 1000 messages in two hours. Once every 5 or 10 minutes might be enough?

Added some of the e-mails of the disk error notifcations in the mail starting with the very first:

DISK Error NotificationHDD error occurredDisk(s) the error occurred:Disk 2 (sdb) READ sector:73186769 count:1Disk writing errorRAID drive error will be repaired automatically.Continuous backup is recommended.[LinkStationInformation]

DISK Error NotificationHDD error occurredDisk(s) the error occurred:Disk 2  reached alert level.
DISK Error NotificationHDD error occurredDisk(s) the error occurred:UnknownDisk(sdb6) This drive is faulty.
RAID Error NotificationTarget array:System field (md1)Disk(s) the error occurred:Disk 2 RAID array entered degrade mode.
RAID Error NotificationHDD error occurredTarget array:RAID Array 1 (md2)RAID array can not be mounted.